• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

And the mystery begins.....Mary Agnes May - Rochdale

Hi All

I have been trying to help my dying uncle find his family history.. It is a complete mystery. He knows nothing about his mothers family at all.
His mother, Mary Agnes Tatterstall (nee May) (1896-1979) came to Australia in 1924 after her husband Herbert Tatterstall died. I have information from then to now but nothing before.

Mary had told my Aunt that she was abused as a child and that her picture is in the Tower of London??? This seems a bit bizarre but she had her facilties about her completly when she disclosed this to my Aunt.

I have some records until she was four than nothing until she shows up at what seems to be a girls home at 14.

Mary was born in Rochdale, Lancashire to parents, John May and Mary Ann Lyons?

Any help anyone could give me would be very appreciated

Kind Regards,
Toni

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Does this look like her in 1901?

Lord Street, Oldham, Lancashire RG13 3806 63 23

John May Head Married Male 32 1869 General Labourer Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Transcription
Mary A May Wife Married Female 29 1872 - Middleton, Lancashire, England Transcription
Mary A May Daughter - Female 4 1897 - Oldham, Lancashire, England

Barbara

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is a tree on Ancestry, has this marriage but not sure they have the right John before that as there is another of the same age born in Sheffield but used Herbert and marries a Matilda. Think your John is John throughout.

and possibly this one?
John May
ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR: abt 1867
RELATIONSHIP TO HEAD: Son
FATHER: Thomas May
WHERE BORN: Sheffd, Yorkshire, England
CIVIL PARISH: Sheffield
COUNTY/ISLAND: Yorkshire
STREET ADDRESS: Ct1 No8 Copper St
EDUCATION:

EMPLOYMENT STATUS:

View image
REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Sheffield
SUB REGISTRATION DISTRICT: North Sheffield
ED, INSTITUTION, OR VESSEL: 9

PIECE: 4644
FOLIO: 160
PAGE NUMBER: 24

Hi All

Thank you so much for your replies.
Yes, this appears to be the people I am looking for; I have not found parents in 1911. I have searched records on British newspapers etc but have not found anything.
I am not sure what would have happened to them. It has also made it difficult to track backwards for the rest of family history.

Kind Regards,
Toni

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
You would probably be wise to get the marriage certificate which would give you John's and Mary Ann's fathers to be sure we have the right family going back.

There is a Mary Ann Lyon of around the right age but she says she was born Sheffield in other census so I can't be sure.

Barbara

And then a children's home near Coventry, Warwickshire in 1911.

Barbara
could this be a better fit

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s)
Mary

Last name
May

Relationship to household head
Inmate

Marital condition
Single

Birth year

Birth place
Lancashire Manchester

Occupation
School

Address
Swinton Near Manchester

Registration district
Barton upon Irwell

Registration district number

Subdistrict
Worsley

Subdistrict number

Enumeration district

Piece number
Schedule number
Census reference
RG14PN23583 RD463 SD1 ED24 SN9999

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Could be Dave but the one I found said born Oldham, Lancashire but was in Warwickshire. Maybe Toni knows which one is right?

Barbara

They both look like possibilities? I don't know which one would be correct. What would have happened for Mary to end up at either place. My aunt has given me a look at her marriage certificate for her first marriage to Herbert Tatterstall. It appears that her father was present at her wedding, no mention of mother. We have a picture of her as a teenager and she is dressed in what looks like a nuns habit?

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Think the nun's habit could have been her being confirmed into the church. I am sure I had to wear something similar when confirmed into the Scottish Episcopal Church which is known as the "English Church" locally.

Maybe we should be trying to find parents in 1911.

Barbara

Hi All

I have been searching a bit more around 1911 time period for Mary's parents and I have found a couple of possibilites.

NAME: Annie May
ADMISSION DATE: 13 Oct 1911
INSTITUTION: Rainhill
INTITUTION PLACE: Lancashire, England
DEATH DATE: 4 Jul 1915
DEATH PLACE: Lancashire, England

The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; Lunacy Patients Admission Registers; Class: MH 94; Piece: 46

NAME: Mary May
ADMISSION DATE: 19 Apr 1912
INSTITUTION: Rainhill
INTITUTION PLACE: Lancashire, England
DEATH DATE: 25 May 1912
DEATH PLACE: Lancashire, England

The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; Lunacy Patients Admission Registers; Class: MH 94; Piece: 47

NAME: John May
AGE IN 1911: 38
ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR: abt 1873
RELATION TO HEAD: Prisoner
BIRTH PLACE: Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
CIVIL PARISH: Wakefield
COUNTY/ISLAND: Yorkshire-West Riding
MARITAL STATUS: Single
REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Wakefield
REGISTRATION DISTRICT NUMBER: 504
SUB-REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Wakefield
ED, INSTITUTION, OR VESSEL: 27-30
PIECE: 27403

Class: RG14; Piece: 27403; Page: 14

Thoughts on this?? I am going to see if I can get more information from my Aunt but am not holding my breath

I got some further information from Aunty about Mary. Mary Agnes May born 12th Sept, 1896 and died 11th December 1979. Mary Agnes Tattersall arrived in Melbourne, Australia 20th December 1924 and left Tilbury, London on the 16th November 1924. The ship was named Sophocles. I have an address for Hebert but have had difficultly reading it, it looks like 88 Durham or Dauchan Street, Rochdale. Herbert Tattersall and Mary was married on 17th November 1919, Herbert was 30 years old and a bachelor and Mary was 23 years old and was a spinster. Herbert was a slater and Mary was a domestic servant. I have a address for Mary before her marriage for her father, John Herbert May was 151 Entwisle Rd, Rochdale. Herbert Tattersall father was Roger Tattersall and was deceased at the time of their wedding. John Herbert May was a tramway labourer. Two witnesses at the wedding was Sam and Mary Kershaw.

Don't know if this helps at all and I maybe looking to hard at it but I don't know what else to do.

Cheers,
Toni

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

9 Willbutts, Spotland, Rochdale, Lancashire, England

Roger Tattersall Head Married Male 38 1853 Slater Ramsbottom, Lancashire, England

Alice Tattersall Wife Married Female 34 1857 Cotton Weaver Rochdale, Lancashire, England

Mary Lucy Tattersall Daughter Single Female 14 1877 Cotton Weaver Ramsbottom, Lancashire, England

Will Harry Tattersall Son Single Male 12 1879 Scholar Ramsbottom, Lancashire, England

Herbert Tattersall Son - Male 2 1889 - Ramsbottom, Lancashire, England

----------------------------------------

Marriages Dec 1875

Tasker Alice Bury 8c 691
Tattersall Roger Bury 8c 691

this could be John - his mge cert would confirm his father

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

Hammond Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

John Herbert May Son Single Male 24 1867 Potmould Hawker Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Thomas May Father Widower Male 71 1820 File Cutter Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

George Wm May Son Single Male 20 1871 Potmould Hawker Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

George Greaves Boarder - Male 15 1876 Labourer Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Sarah Ann Harrison Visitor Single Female 16 1875 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

re my last post, this looks interesting re Johns brother George

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

28, Higher Moor, Oldham, Lancashire, England

George May Head Married Male 29 1872 Labourer (General) Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Milly May Wife Married Female 27 1874 - Manchester, Lancashire, England

George May Son Single Male 6 1895 - Oldham, Lancashire, England

Lena May Daughter Single Female 2 1899 - Oldham, Lancashire, England

Edward May Son Single Male 0 1901 - Oldham, Lancashire, England

Elizabeth May Sister-In-Law Single Female 22 1879 - Oldham, Lancashire, England

Mary Goodwin Niece Single Female 0 1901 - Oldham, Lancashire, England

-----------------------------------------

Marriages Dec 1893

Goodwin Milly Oldham 8d 766
May George William Oldham 8d 766

Last edited:
Hi Barbara and Dave

Thank you for the info, I have not been on here lately been very hectic here and unfortunately my uncle passed away at the end of Febuary. :'(

I still plan on finding information on his mum's family to collate for my Aunty, their children and grandchildren.

Thankyou again and I will continue to search.

Cheers,
Toni

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Marriage: 2 Jun 1906 St Paul, Hathershaw, Lancashire, England
John Herbert May - 36, Labourer, Widower, Avon Street
Jane Furber - 25, Spinster, Avon Street
Groom's Father: Thomas May, File Cutter
Bride's Father: Thomas Furber, Fruiterer
Witness: Joseph Buckright; Mary Elizabeth Furber, (X)
Married by Banns by: Fredk. Wareham
Register: Marriages 1902 - 1907, Page 216, Entry 432
Source: LDS Family Search

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1905
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
MAY Mary Ann 32 Oldham South Oldham OSOU/2/10

this could be her mothers death,,,,and could explain the John Herbert May marriage i posted above .....as he was a widower,,,and his wife had died the previous year?

gortonboy

Loyal Member
found the burial record,,,,note her address,,,same as the address on John Herberts marriage to Jane.

B/C Number 48824
Burial Date 28/10/1905
Date of Death
Name Mary Ann May
Address 11 Avon St;Oldham
Age 32 Years
Denomination 0
Funeral Director
Service
Cemetery Greenacres
Section B2
Grave 168