• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

ANGEL family in Paisley RENFREW

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
This is what I have but there are some problems. The name appears as ANGEL, ANGLE & ANGELL in various records. I can't find a birth for the following three:

1. Thomas ANGEL b. 1782-1786 d. after 1841 census
married when & where ?
Mary b. 1792-1796 d. ?
2. Samuel ANGEL b. abt 1788 d. ?
3. Thomas ANGEL b. abt 1786-1790 d. 1835
married 8 May 1818 Paisley Middle
Mary Clark b. abt 1798 d. 5 Nov 1831

The youngest son of Thomas and Mary CLARK, Stephen was born on 5 Nov 1831 and Mary died in childbirth.

The Paisley Middle marriage record has this:
"1818 May 3 Thomas Angel Private 40th Reg & Mary Clark 3/1
Married by ?? Proclamation 8th May"

Family history says Stephen's father Thomas died when he was four and that he was brought up by his uncle, also named Thomas.
The 1841 census shows:
Paisley Low - ANGLE
Thomas 55 Pensioner
Mary 45
Thomas 20 Cloth Lapper
Sarah 15
Samuel 12
Stephen 7

The four children are the children of Mary (nee CLARK)

So if both parents were dead the Thomas and Mary shown are uncle and aunt to the children. However I can't find a second marriage of the older Thomas ANGEL to a Mary. And there is no sign of the births in Scotland for either Thomas. I was thinking with Thomas having been in the 40th Regiment that originally the family had come from Somerset ??

What I need first perhaps is to find Mary's death on 5 Nov 1831 and then to see if I can find that of Thomas in 1835. He may still have been in the regiment at the time so his death could be anywhere??

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave