• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ann Boycott, nee Yates

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

Looking for Ann's birth/bap.

The following may or may not be the correct family.

Censuses say she was b. Little Wenlock, Shopshire after 1860, when she married Thomas Boycott.

In 1851 she says b. Madeley [RD] covers Little Wenlock. She is also living with her sister. Not easy to rationalise..

Civil Parish: Great Dawley
County: Shropshire
RD: Madeley
Sub-RD: Dawley
ED: 2e; HO107; Piece: 1988; Folio: 119; Page: 24

Rebecca Yates 25 [b. Madeley. Outdoor servant ag]
Ann Yates 20 sister [b. Madeley]
Betsey Yates 9 Mo niece [b. Madeley]
Mary Tranter 12 niece [b. Madeley]

Ann's parents are possibly Bartholomew and Martha [1841 census]
Ref: Piece: 909; Book: 13; Folio: 18; Page: 8
Rebecca isn't with them :rolleyes:

Many thanks
Geoff

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
I think the parents of the Ann you have in 1851 are John & Lydia Yates.

1841 RD Madeley, sub RD Dawley, Pc 904, Bk 7, F 17, Pg 27
John Yates, 50, puddler
Lydia, 50
John, 25 puddler
Elizabeth, 25
James, 15, puddler
Humphrey, 13
Ann, 11
William, 9

The children were baptised at Dawley Magna, including also Rebecca d.o. John & Lydia, 5 Nov 1826. Ann was baptised as Mary Ann 24 Jan 1830.

Elaine

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
I don't think the Ann Yates you are looking at in 1851 is the one who married Thomas Boycott in 1860.

8 Aug 1860, Shifnal
Thomas Boycott, full age, farmer of Coalmoor Little Wenlock, s.o. Thomas Boycott accountant
Ann Yates, full age, of Aston Shifnal, d.o. Bartholomew Yates farmer
wits. Bartholomew Yates, Eliza Yates, Mary Jane Yates, Ann F Boycott,

You have the 1841 census for Bartholomew & Martha, then in 1851 Bartholomew Yates is at home at Old Park farm with 4 children & 3 servants. RD Shifnal, Pc 1992, F446, Pg28,
his wife Martha Yates is visiting Richard & Mary Esp aged 74 and 82, RD Church Stretton, Pc1984, F109, Pg 13 (we can be pretty sure that is her as a Martha Esp of Shipton married Bartholomew Yates of Little Wenlock 10 June 1830 At Shipton, Salop, wit. Jane Yates & Richard Esp)
and it seems his daughter Ann Yates is neice to Thomas Briscoe Barber & his wife Rebecca, aged 55 and 57, at RD Shrewsbury, Pc 1992, F446, Pg 28. Ann's age is given as 16 but I think that is a simple error. Thomas Briscoe Barber married Rebecca Yates 5 May 1825, St Mary's Shrewsbury.

so we haven't got the baptism of Ann Yates, the wife of Thomas Boycott, but she does seem to be the daughter of Bartholomew Yates and Martha Esp.

Elaine

Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
and it seems his daughter Ann Yates is neice to Thomas Briscoe Barber & his wife Rebecca, aged 55 and 57, at RD Shrewsbury, Pc 1992, F446, Pg 28. Ann's age is given as 16 but I think that is a simple error. Thomas Briscoe Barber married Rebecca Yates 5 May 1825, St Mary's Shrewsbury.
This keeps cropping up, which would discount Ann above, from being Thomas' wife..
Ann Yates
Birth Date: 8 Apr 1835
Baptism Date: 3 May 1835
Baptism Place: Saint Alkmund,Shrewsbury,Shropshire,England
Father: Edward Yates
Mother: Mary
FHL Film Number: 503525, 510675

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
This keeps cropping up, which would discount Ann above, from being Thomas' wife..
Ann Yates
Birth Date: 8 Apr 1835
Baptism Date: 3 May 1835
Baptism Place: Saint Alkmund,Shrewsbury,Shropshire,England
Father: Edward Yates
Mother: Mary
FHL Film Number: 503525, 510675

Geoff
Unless that Ann can be found with parents, Edward and Mary in 1851..

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
You would probably expect Rebecca to be a sister of Bartholomew [Ann's father], though I have't connected them yet. His Parents being Bartholomew and Ann.

One problem is that Ann who is with Thomas and Rebecca in 1851 also looks to be with them in 1861, which is not possible for my Ann :rolleyes:

1861 - She is transcribed as Gates

Civil Parish: St Alkmund
County: Shropshire
RD: Shrewsbury
Sub-RD: St Mary
ED: 20; RG 9; Piece: 1872; Folio: 40; Page: 16

Thomas Barber 65 [b. Crossgreen. Farmer]
Rebecca Barber 67 [b. Halesowen]
Richd Barber 25 [b. Newton]
Ann Gates 25 niece [b. Shrewsbury]
[There are others, but are servants/employees]

Ann's PoB also looks wrong. Unlikely that age would be wrong in 2 censuses :rolleyes:

Geoff

EDIT:

Interestingly my Ann's family are transcribed as Gates in 1861 - Ref: RG 9; Piece: 1854; Folio: 44; Page: 11

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
It seems that the baptisms at Little Wenlock at this time are not available on-line. Baptisms are only available for the later children of Bartholomew and Martha who were born at Stockton.

The 1841 census for Bartholomew and Martha has children :-
Ann 10, Martha 6, Eliza 2, Francis William 2mths.

The 1851 census for Bartholomew has children:-
Martha 16, Richard 13, Francis W 10, Mary J 6. (Eliza is at Boarding School in Wenlock)

Richard, Eliza, Francis W, and Mary J were baptised at Stockton.

Richard aged 3 is not with the family in 1841 as he and his brother Bartholomew aged 5 are with Cath. and Eliz. Yates, aged 35 and 37, farmers in Little Wenlock. Probably their aunts who are looking after them as their mother has a new baby.

Ann, Martha and Bartholomew were born at Little Wenlock and there is no record of their baptisms.

Bartholomew (b 1836) is not with the family in 1851 as he is at Boarding School but we know he is Martha's son as he was named as such when he applied for admin when she died in 1884. We know that death is the correct Martha Yates as her address is given as High St Shifnel. In 1871 she is living there with unmarried daughters Martha and Eliza and grandson Thomas Boycott aged 9, born Little Wenlock. In 1881 she is still there with just daughter Eliza.

This all seems to pull the family together and confirms Ann Boycott as the daughter of Bartholomew and Matha Yates.
Elaine

horse

Loyal Member
Thanks, Elaine.

A similar summary/conclusion I arrived at.

All that is missing is a bap and 1851 for Ann, I can live with that for now.

One of the goals of finding her baptism was to get to her true parents, which we have.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Geoff

EDIT:

Thomas Boycott with Martha and the 2 unm. dau's in 1871 is the s/o Thomas and Ann, not s/o Eliza as the transcriber suggests.

stockpot

Valued Member
This is a problem :-
transcript of baptism of Thomas Boycott at Little Wenlock 24 Nov 1861 gives father Thomas Boycott and mother Sarah Fletcher Boycott, not Ann, so how is Martha Yates the grandmother ??

There is no image to check that the transcript is correct.
not looking good !
Elaine

horse

Loyal Member
This is a problem :-
transcript of baptism of Thomas Boycott at Little Wenlock 24 Nov 1861 gives father Thomas Boycott and mother Sarah Fletcher Boycott, not Ann, so how is Martha Yates the grandmother ??

There is no image to check that the transcript is correct.
not looking good !
Elaine
I couldn't find the bap. before, but I have it now..

Something not right, in the 1871 census the transcriber suggests his mother is Eliza.. :rolleyes:

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Interesting that Sarah Fletcher is staying with her bro. Thomas and Ann in 1871, whilst Thomas Jr. is with Ann's mother Martha :rolleyes:

Geoff