• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ann MORGAN

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
HO107 Piece 1947 Folio 236 Page 13
Civil Parish: Temple
Municipal Borough: Bristol
County: Gloucestershire
Registration District: Bristol
Address: 2 Temple Street Long Row, Temple, Bristol
RICHARDS, Joseph Head Widower 67 Pauper Late Sawyer
MORGAN, John Son-In-Law Mar 43 Labourer Bristol
MORGAN, Mary Mar 41 Bristol
MORGAN, Ann dau 13 Bristol
MORGAN, Louisa dau 9 Bristol
MORGAN, John son 5 Bristol Temple P
MORGAN, Joseph son 2 Bristol Temple P
MORGAN, Charles son 3 Bristol Temple P

Looking to trace this Ann to see she is still in England in 1861 and to see if parents are both alive in 1861.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
3x Ann MORGAN in 1851 all listed born Bristol but only this one reg:

Births Jun Qtr 1838
MORGAN Ann Bristol 11 136

I'm trying to find deaths before October 1858 of a John & Mary MORGAN in Bristol or failing that find the couple in Bristol in 1861, or both if there are two such couples.

Dave

stockpot

Valued Member
There is a burial of an Ann Morgan aged 18 at St George Brandon Hill Bristol 26 May 1856. Correct age but who knows whether it is the right one.

Looking at the other children in the family, in 1851 the youngest is Charles age 2yr (you have him as 3 but the image of the census has the 2 and 3 years reversed from what you have)

a Charles Henry Morgan was baptised 3 June 1849 at St Philip and St Jacob Bristol, s.o. John and Mary

in 1861 a Charles H Morgan ages 12 born Bristol is in the Colston's Hospital at St Augustine Bristol. This is an orphanage for boys aged about 9 to 14 so it looks like Charles parents are dead.

The second youngest child is Joseph aged 3 in 1851. In 1861 their is a Joseph Morgan age 14 born Bristol living with about 45 other lads in the Boys Home attached to a spinning mill near Halifax. The lads are from all over the country and were usually sent by the workhouse or similar.

A John Morgan aged 43 was buried at St Philip and Jacob 23 Oct 1853. Age a couple of years out but possible, especially as it is the church where Charles was baptised.

Also in 1861 in Portbury, Somerset, there is a Louisa Morgan aged 19 born Bristol living with her grandfather James Morgan aged 81, shoemaker, born Clapton Somerset so again it looks as if the parents might be dead.

Elaine

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Elaine.

Any sign of the family in post #1 in 1861, with or without Ann.

If that John & Mary are still alive in 1861 then that rules out that dau Ann as mine.

Dave

stockpot

Valued Member
No, can't find John & Mary in 1861, that is why I expanded the search to their children - sorry I should have said that !

(in 1861 there is a John Morgan aged 52 and a Mary aged 51 both born Bristol living in Bath but they were in Bath in 1851 so can be discounted)

Elaine

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Elaine.

There is this one as well:

HO107 Piece 1953 Folio 160 Page 66
Civil Parish: St Andrew
Municipal Borough: Bristol
Registration District: Clifton
Address: Orphan Asylum, Ashley Hill
MORGAN, Ann F 12 Scholar Bristol St Augustine

No parents listed on Ann's death reg in Sydney so all I really have is "born Bristol" on burial record and this from the shipping record:

MORGAN Ann 22 'Golconda' 1858 Sydney and/or Newcastle Reel 2138, [4/4795]; Reel 2477, [4/4974]

Arrived 21 Oct 1858

Ann 22 - General House Servant Bristol Gloucester John & Mary Dead C.E. - Read & Write No Relation in Colony Good Condition No Complaints 10/-

Dave

stockpot

Valued Member
your Ann Morgan was 22 in 1858, i.e. she should be 15 rather than 13 at the 1851 census.

There is an Ann Morgan born Bristol aged 15 in 1851 but her parents are John and Elizabeth. However there was a John Morgan, widowed, married Elizabeth Waring, widowed, at St Philip & Jacob Bristol 30 Oct 1837. The census only says John is Ann's father so Elizabeth is not necessarily the mother.

An Ann Morgan d.o. John and Mary was bapt at St Thomas Bristol 28 Sept 1836. Did this Mary then die and John marry Elizabeth Waring ? Who Knows!! There is a burial of a Mary Ann Morgan age 44 at St Pauls Bristol 2 Feb 1837.

Just something to think about!
Elaine

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Elaine.

Three of them in 1851 all listed born Bristol and only one birth reg. When the A$ goes up a bit I might get a copy of that one.

Dave

jimmyd

Hi DaveHam9,

I live in West Pennant Hills, NSW, Australia. I believe that Ann was my gr-gr grandfather's sister. John Morgan was born in Temple Bristol in 1826. A baptismal record for a child born that year in that Parish was located and parents were John and Mary Morgan.

According to the information you set out, John was born in about 1808 and Mary in about 1810. That makes him the father at age 18. Possible!

The clue though is Ann's sister Louisa. John eldest child was named Louisa. She was my great grandmother. I have a photo of Louisa.

John arrived in VDL in 1846 as a private in the 99th Lanarkshire Regiment. He served in Spring Bay where Louisa was born. He married Mary Horan the daughter of a member of his platoon in St Joseph's Hobart in 1847. Louisa was born the next year. Four more children followed.

John was charged with desertion and as he was due for re-enlistment, and had indicated that he would not re-enlist, he forfeited his military pension as punishment.

The NSW Government granted land to settler soldiers. John was granted some acreage in Minto. Not being a farmer, he sold the plot and set up a shop there. It is believed that he was the John Morgan who fostered "Mad Dog Morgan" who lived with them between the ages of 12 and 17. See Frank Clune's "Wild Colonial Boys". Dan adopted the surname Morgan because of John's claim of descent from the Pirate Sir Henry Morgan. Louisa made these claims too but never mentioned "Mad Dog".

John moved to Darlinghurst when Mad Dog went of the rampage. He suffered a major breakdown and was placed in the Sydney Benevolent Asylum where he died in 1865 aged 39 years. He was buried in Camperdown Cemetery next to St Stephen's Church.F

What is you view?

Regards

James Donohoe

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello James and welcome to the Forum

Many thanks for the details. I'll have to refresh my memory on this family and work out my connection.

I do remember it was not an easy family to trace and that there are still gaps in that branch of my tree.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
This is the connection to my tree:

Marriage 3572/1894 MORGAN JOHN - SANDS SUSANNAH - GLEBE * 10 Feb

So I started tracing John and his ancestors not because it was a direct line but because it was a challenge.

Birth 1058/1870 MORGAN JOHN - ANN - SYDNEY * 4 Apr

Death 10353/1914 MORGAN ANN 75 YRS NEWTOWN NEWTOWN * 29 Sep

The Sydney Morning Herald - Tuesday 28 September 1915 p.8
IN MEMORIAM
MORGAN.-In loving memory of our dear mother and grandmother, Ann Morgan, who departed this life September 28, 1914, aged 75.
Inserted by her loving daughter, Louisa, and son and daughter-in-law, Jack and Sus. Morgan and family.

Date in index does not agree with notice.

Death 22598/1956 MORGAN LOUISA 88 YEARS - ANN - ROCKDALE

The Sydney Morning Herald - Monday 10 September 1956 p.14
DEATHS
MORGAN, Louisa.-September 8, 1956, at 176 Queen Victoria Street, Bexley, dearly loved mother of Charles (deceased) and Harold, mother-in-law of Elsie, and fond grandmother of Fred, Charles, Alma, John, Dorothy Davida, Joan, Harold and Olive, aged 88 years.

FUNERALS
MORGAN.-The Relatives and Friends of the late LOUISA MORGAN, of Bexley, are invited to attend her Funeral, to leave the Metropolitan Funeral Home, corner of Prince's Highway and Bestic Street, Rockdale, This Day, after service commencing at 10.45 a.m., for Wororona Crematorium.
METROPOLITAN BURIAL AND CREMATION SOCIETY.
Rockdale. LX6066.

Can't find on Woronora site.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi James,

We may be dealing with different families. I was trying to trace the parents of this unmarried Ann:

Rookwood Cemetery
Cemetery Anglican & General Cemetery Trusts
Area AN
Section T
Row N/A
Block/Plot N/A
Grave No. 0009388

Old Church of England Section T Row 30 Grave 9388, 9389
Anne MORGAN
27 [?] Sep 1914 75 years ** 27 or 28 or 29 in different records
Native of Bristol, England

The family in the census in post #1 is one of three possible census with 'Ann Morgan' and I don't know which, if any of them, is the right one to match the 1914 death.

Dave

jimmyd

Hi Dave

If the Ann Morgan who migrated to Australia in 1858 is you Ann, then it is possible that she migrated with a view of meeting up with family members here. There may be more information in her landing record. They are held in State Records in Kingswood.

Pte John Morgan's military record, shown on his day of discharge, shows Temple as his place of birth. On registration of a child born in Sydney, he said that he was born in Bristol.

Regards

James

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi James,

Inspection of passengers on arrival by the Immigration Board:

Reel 2477
Morgan Ann 22 - General House Servant - Bristol Gloucester - John & Mary Dead - C.E. - R&W No relations in colony Good Condition No Compaints 10/-

Dave

HI,

Hope your both still interested in the Morgan family, we have just started a group on FB, for descendants of Ann Morgan born 1838 died 1914.

James your possible link is intriguing, the above Ann Morgan is my Great Great Great Grandmother.

Cheers
Karen

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Karen and welcome to the Forum.

This marriage is the connection to my tree. Susannah is a sister of my ancestor.

3572/1894 MORGAN JOHN - SANDS SUSANNAH - GLEBE * 10 Feb 1894

Time to have another look at this puzzle.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking again at all the possibles for Ann Morgan born Bristol 1836 - 1838.

George Morgan
Spouse's Name Priscilla Mountsteven
9 Oct 1826 St. James Parish, Bristol, Gloucester
Batch: M010552

Births Jun 1838 MORGAN Ann - Bristol 11 136 mmn MOUNTSTEVEN

No other birth reg in Bristol Sep 1837 - Dec 1838 for an Ann.

MORGAN, EMMA - MOUNTSTEVEN
GRO Reference: 1841 J Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 11 Page 127

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Prissilla Morgan
Event Type Census
Event Date 1841
Event Place St Augustine, Gloucestershire
Residence Note Lime Kiln Lane
Registration District Bristol
Parish St Augustine
County Gloucestershire
Page Number 8
Registration Number HO107
Piece/Folio 371/28
Daniel Harris M 35
Elenor Harris F 29
Prissilla Morgan F 30 Somerset
Sarah Morgan F 12 Somerset
Lousia Morgan F 9 Somerset
William Morgan M 6 Somerset
Ann Morgan F 3 Somerset
Emma Morgan F 0 Somerset
+

That Ann might be the one aged 12 in an orphanage in 1851 in Clifton.
Piece/Folio 1953 / 160 page 66

MORGAN, PRISCILLA 37
GRO Reference: 1843 J Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 11 Page 98

There is a burial of an Ann Morgan aged 18 at St. George Brandon Hill Bristol 26 May 1856.

Or this

HO107 Piece 1949 Folio 116 Page 11
Civil Parish: St Philip & St Jacob
ED:
Address: 2 Elsbridge Passage
GILBORSON William Head Mar 40 Smith Bristol
GILBORSON Sarah Wife Mar 50 Town Gloucestershire
MORGAN Ann Grand Dau 12 Scholar Bristol

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I can't find the mmn that fits these children - I expected Richards

HO107 Piece 1947 Folio 236 Page 13
Civil Parish: Temple
ED:
Address: 2 Temple Street Long Row
RICHARDS Joseph Head Widower 67 Pauper Late Sawyer
MORGAN John Son-in-Law Mar 43 Labourer Bristol
MORGAN Mary Mar 41 Bristol
MORGAN Ann dau 13 Bristol
MORGAN Louisa dau 9 Bristol
MORGAN John son 5 Bristol Temple P
MORGAN Joseph son 3 Bristol Temple P
MORGAN Charles son 2 Bristol Temple P

HI Dave, This is what we are thinking from our Facebook group by Rosalie:

Just a brief outline of our mystery Ann. It may need correcting here and there but the aim of the group is to build on the bones of this tree.....

POOR GIRL meets RICH BOY?

Ann Morgan a lady of mystery, has baffled many researchers over the years BUT her past is about to unravel as the new tool in genealogy DNA will reveal all.
Ann a young lass from Bristol born c1836-1839 to John Morgan and Mary Richards. Immigration records state her parents as dead which would explain why Ann was living at her grandparents (Richards) as noted on the 1851 census. Assuming, to avoid the Poor House, she took up the offer to embark on a life changing journey to Sydney, Australia per the Golconda arrival Oct 1858. She was described as being 22 years, single, a general house servant, could read and write, religion Church of England. It was also noted that Ann had no family in Australia so a girl alone was vulnerable. Records are yet to be discovered as to who sponsored her "assisted immigration".
Not long in the colony, Ann became pregnant and gave birth to Mary Morgan on 25 Aug 1860. Registration did not reveal the father only that she was in residence in Elizabeth Street. By 1861 Ann was living in 85 Palmer Street (Darlinghurst end), a house owned by a Mr Joseph Richardson who also owned number 83. She was noted in the town directory as Ann Morgan, however, in 1863 she was noted as Mrs Ann Richardson? Here she gave birth to John William Morgan on 22 Oct 1864 (he died 3 months later and an enquiry made the newspapers). Registration this time states father as John William Morgan, a Sailor! Ann changed residences three times before the next addition to her brood that being twins Louisa and Amelia on 31 Jan 1868. She was living at Taylor Street in Darlinghurst. Alas, Amelia had died in infancy. At this time Mary Morgan would have been eight years old. By 1870 Ann gave birth to John Morgan and in 1872 to Sydney G Morgan (Sydney died in 1875 and is buried at Rookwood with a Foot stone. Who paid for that?) Again father not listed.

In 1877 Ann was living at 7 Howard Street, off Parramatta Street (Broadway) working as a Laundress. In 1879 she settled at 32 May Street in Ultimo (no occupation) with a small swap in 1890 to live at number 52 May Street (may have been a better deal). She later resided with daughter Louisa at 30 Athlone Place the same street as her daughter Mary Morgan who was by then Mary Goddard.

Ann's last residence was 46 Glebe Street, Glebe. In 1914 poor Ann was knocked down in a road accident on Parramatta Road. She was admitted to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital but later died of her injuries. She was laid to rest at Rookwood Cemetery in a rather elaborate somewhat expensive looking grave. The owner of the grave has been transcribed as a T Morgan. (I assume L Morgan. L being Louisa).

The twists and turns and lies that surround Ann has had us all on wild chases, dead ends etc.
DNA keeps linking Ann's descendants to the family of Mary Mobbs and her husband William Batman. So one can assume that a descendant of Batman is the father of Mary and John. Was the father high profile, trapped in an unhappy marriage and kept Ann a secret? All will be revealed!