• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Any ideas how we could begin to fill in the gaps??

From
England
There has always been bit of a mystery surrounding my great grandfather Charles Rodgers.We know he was born 1885 in Heckmondwike,but there was no father listed on his birth certificate.What follows now is based on probability,but we think its is fairly accurate.His birth certficate shows his mothers name as Ada.In 1885 birth reg for july/aug/sept there is a birth date of six june 1885 christian name Charlie..which would fit in with the year of birth we always had.The mothers name is an Ada Rodgers at Wosted Mill. 1891 census shows a Charles Rogers,mother aged 27 and a sister Jane in the Horton Bradford workhouse..the age for this Charles fits in with ours..although the surname is spelt different (common error for the time??)It is believed that he ran away from the workhouse several times and we believe he joined the army as a boy bugler.Between 1891 and 1912 he vanishes..he is on no census at all.(would he have been on army duty somewhere??).then in 1912 he meets my great grandmother and re-appears..so we have about a twenty year gap where he is off the radar.All of this is abit circumspect as he was an incredibly private man who did not speak about his early years really..would just be nice to be able to fill in this period and find out what happened..
(sorry didnt add the rest of information first time round)

1915 he gets married to my great grandmother.He age is given as 25 which puts him as having an 1890 brith which doesnt tally with the birth cert issued in 1885.His marriage certificate has his occupation as a Lance corporal..so he must have been in the army at some stage....This information is from the one issued from the pro in january 2010,but the one issued on the day of the marriage down as pipe fitter,but it has clearly been changed.

11th nove 1915 he joins the dorest regiment.His age is stated as 26 years 5 months.His wedding date was only two months earlier..(aged according to cert as 25) occuapation pipe fitter..but on his enlistment form B2505 the question where they ask if they have been in any branch of the military before the answer is no,but on another service record(the descriptive report??) it states that an officer has seen the marriage certificate and the next of kin information is correct!!!

We are so confused as to why there is all these changes to age and job!!I doubt we will ever know the truth..i would just love to be able to fill in those missing years

Last edited:
Hi
Is this Ada and Jane in 1901?
SUGGITT, Arthur James Head Married M 30 1871 Telephone (Foreman) Malton
Yorkshire
SUGGITT, Ada Wife F 37 1864 Wyke Yorkshire
SUGGITT, John W Son M 10 1891 Bradford Yorkshire
RODGERS, Jane Step Daughter F 17 1884 Worsted Spinner Bradford
Yorkshire RODGERS, Victor Step Son M 9 1892 Bradford Yorkshire

RG number:RG13
Piece:4161
Folio:119
Page:5

Registration District:Bradford
Sub District:Bradford West
EnumerationDistrict:51
Ecclesiastical Parish:St Mary Magdalene

Civil Parish:Bradford Municipal Borough:
Address:5, Beecher Street, Bradford County: Yorkshire (West riding

dave

Hi
is this charles in 1911? if so does it throw up a few questions?

RODGERS, Charles Head Married 4 years M 25 1886 Stationary Boiler Fireman Heckmondwike Yorks
RODGERS, Selina Wife F 24 1887 Gt Harwood Lanc
RODGERS, Ellen Daughter F 3 1908 Blackburn Lanc
RODGERS, Ada Daughter F 1 1910 Oldham Lanc
MCDONALD, Magge Boarder Single F 20 1891 Wool Comb Minder Shipley York

RG number:RG14
Piece:26838
Reference:RG14PN26838 RG78PN1542 RD498 SD4 ED28 SN284

Sub District:Horton
EnumerationDistrict:28
Parish:Bradford

Address:9 Skinhouse St Bradford
County:Yorkshire (West riding)

dave

Hi
Is this Ada and Jane in 1901?
SUGGITT, Arthur James Head Married M 30 1871 Telephone (Foreman) Malton
Yorkshire
SUGGITT, Ada Wife F 37 1864 Wyke Yorkshire
SUGGITT, John W Son M 10 1891 Bradford Yorkshire
RODGERS, Jane Step Daughter F 17 1884 Worsted Spinner Bradford
Yorkshire RODGERS, Victor Step Son M 9 1892 Bradford Yorkshire

RG number:RG13
Piece:4161
Folio:119
Page:5

Sub District:Bradford West
EnumerationDistrict:51
Ecclesiastical Parish:St Mary Magdalene

Civil Parish:Bradford Municipal Borough:
Address:5, Beecher Street, Bradford County: Yorkshire (West riding

dave

This one is definatly right..we know that Ada was married three times.

Hi
is this charles in 1911? if so does it throw up a few questions?

RODGERS, Charles Head Married 4 years M 25 1886 Stationary Boiler Fireman Heckmondwike Yorks
RODGERS, Selina Wife F 24 1887 Gt Harwood Lanc
RODGERS, Ellen Daughter F 3 1908 Blackburn Lanc
RODGERS, Ada Daughter F 1 1910 Oldham Lanc
MCDONALD, Magge Boarder Single F 20 1891 Wool Comb Minder Shipley York

RG number:RG14
Piece:26838
Reference:RG14PN26838 RG78PN1542 RD498 SD4 ED28 SN284

Sub District:Horton
EnumerationDistrict:28
Parish:Bradford

Address:9 Skinhouse St Bradford
County:Yorkshire (West riding)

dave

Not sure on this one Dave.He married my great gran in 1915 in Poole,im not sure where they met..I suppose he could have been married before..having no idea what happened in that 20 year gap makes it so hard to be certain one way or another..

Hi Chelle
what was his occupation when he married your G Gran?

Ok it depeneds which record you look at..we believe it is more likely that he was in the army..or had been in the army as there is the descrepency in the marriage certificates between the original and the one we got from the pro in jan..the jan one says lance corporal..the original says pipe fitter but it had been changed for whatever reason :confused: ...but 11th nov 1915 he deffo joins the Dorset Regiment..

Between the wars he did work for the fire service and the Poole pumping station.He was also in the home guard in the second world war.He then retired..still with this confusion to his exact age!

Ok the picture I have of him in his uniform he has no glasses..the other bit I think this might be it..

9th April 1917 London Gazette Military Medal awarded to 15706 Pte (actg.L.C) C Rodgers Dorest R..is that his army number??

When he ws discharged from the TA is 1931 his year of birth was given as 1889!!!!!

Hi Chelle

Right you are wondering why I asked the questions.
Have you access to Ancestry and have you seen the army records,
If so you will have seen the record for Charles Rodgers, born Heckmondwike in 1885. His wife being Lena (Selina on the 1911 census record I sent you) He also has some children. The interesting thing is he joined the 13th Kings Liverpool regiment in Winton, Lancashire, in early 1914, but then in Jan 1915 asked for a transfer which was accepted, to the 25th Division Cyclist Company based at Westbourne and Bournemouth.
Similarities are that he was an engineer, and also an acting L/Cpl. There is a record of desertion, and of his eyesight being poor but would be ok with glasses. His initial army No is not the same, but I do believe they change it if transferred to a different unit.
If you have not got them, if you send me your email address by Privat Message, I'll try and copy them for you
dave

Hi Chelle

Right you are wondering why I asked the questions.
Have you access to Ancestry and have you seen the army records,
If so you will have seen the record for Charles Rodgers, born Heckmondwike in 1885. His wife being Lena (Selina on the 1911 census record I sent you) He also has some children. The interesting thing is he joined the 13th Kings Liverpool regiment in Winton, Lancashire, in early 1914, but then in Jan 1915 asked for a transfer which was accepted, to the 25th Division Cyclist Company based at Westbourne and Bournemouth.
Similarities are that he was an engineer, and also an acting L/Cpl. There is a record of desertion, and of his eyesight being poor but would be ok with glasses. His initial army No is not the same, but I do believe they change it if transferred to a different unit.
If you have not got them, if you send me your email address by Privat Message, I'll try and copy them for you
dave

No I dont..that would be lovely if you could thanks so much Dave x

Just a quick question..is it possible for someone to both have a record of desertion and then get a military medal a few years later??Would this explain all the different dobs if he was trying to hide it??

Dave thanks so much for sending that stuff last night,unfortunatly all the links came up expired.Ill sign up and have a look for it x

Oh Im so confused.Just been talking about this all to my mum. We are not convinced that the rodgers in the 1911 census is our one. By January 1912 he is enganged to my great grandmother,so he must have met her in 1911 at least.I cant see then there is enough time to have been marriedat the time of that census..then divorced or widowed and then meet someone else and marry???

But then if its not him..where was he between 1891 and 1912?????Is it possible that he is using one of his mothers other married names??Although she she twice married to a Rodgers,the only other option would be the Suggit surname and it seems a bit extreme to switch to that one totally for a while??Then my mum has a postcard from him dated 1916 (I think) and he has spelt his own surname wrong (he has dropped the d in Rodgers)..

Ahhhh there is deffo something odd here...just wish we would figure it out!!

I can understand why he wouldnt want to talk about the workhouse and his illigiticamy.At the time he was born that would have carried a huge amount of stigma so I know why he would want to keep that quiet.But why all the lying over his age and his job??

Last edited:
Dont think that thought hasnt crossed my mind Dave,It will be one of those things i will keep to myself though for obvious reasons

Thanks x

Its funny as I sent my mum that first page i could view of that record.She has a copy of his signature from a postcard and she said "its similar but slightly different,but who signs their name the same each time".......

Back