• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Apprenticeships

gibbo

Loyal Member
Im trying to find out if William Gibson did a apprenticeship as a jeweller possibly in the essex [?] area around 1830 or a bit before.

Can someone give me some advise me on how to look for apprenticeships please as i have never had to research them before and have no idea how to go about it.

Thanks.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo.

Could you tell us a bit more about your relative? I have found that later apprenticeships more difficult to find than pre 1800 ones.

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo.

Could you tell us a bit more about your relative? I have found that later apprenticeships more difficult to find than pre 1800 ones.

Ben
Hi Ben,

Sorry i dont know much more about William. The little info i have i got from his son George's marriage and death cert. It just states father as William Gibson occupation Jeweller. As the cert. states George's place of birth as Abington in 1830 i thought essex might be a place to start to look to see if there are any apprenticeship records for William.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Origins do apprenticeship lists if anyone has access to the list. Doesn't give loads of details but is a starting point.
Thanks DW, i'll check it out. As you said its a starting point and as nothing else has been found on him its worth checking out.

dochines

Valued Member
the Society of Genealogists (SOG) have just released on line a large database of apprenticeships. It is free to access for members who have registered but pay to view for others.

I suggest having a look

dochines

gibbo

Loyal Member
the Society of Genealogists (SOG) have just released on line a large database of apprenticeships. It is free to access for members who have registered but pay to view for others.

I suggest having a look

dochines

Thank you. I will check it out, im totally lost with this one never having had to look for apprenticeships before so grateful for any suggestions.