• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

archer look-up please

jayneflop

hi to anyone who can help me,im trying to find out about a possible uncle of mine i know he was born in july/aug/sept 1936 in wednesbury his name is james archer and his mom is hocknull (annie) but no-one in the family knows anything about him what happened to him nothing if anyone can find anything it would be great,the only thing my dad remembers is my nan having a row with my grandad and throwing her wedding ring at him i dont now where to look thanks if anyone can help me

Gerard

hi to anyone who can help me,im trying to find out about a possible uncle of mine i know he was born in july/aug/sept 1936 in wednesbury his name is james archer and his mom is hocknull (annie) but no-one in the family knows anything about him what happened to him nothing if anyone can find anything it would be great,the only thing my dad remembers is my nan having a row with my grandad and throwing her wedding ring at him i dont now where to look thanks if anyone can help me
He's on the GRO Index of Births:
Sept Qtr 1936 Wednesbury 6b 1083

Gerard

Hi Jayne
Marriage
1)James S Archer to Annie Hocknull - O/D 1932 Wednesbury 6b 1724
2)James Archer married Elizabeth Hocknull J/S 1935 in Wednesbury 6b 2170
children - not sure which marriage
Colin J Archer 1933 Wednesbury 6b 916
James Archer 1936 Wednesbury 6b 683
Patricia A Archer 1942 Wednesbury 6b 1415
Warren C Archer 1946 Wednesbury 6b 1341

possibility
James Archer 1936 married Shiela A Simmonds, J/M 1957 West Bromwich, 9b 2472
children
David J Archer 1960 West Brom,
Tracey D Archer 1963 West Brom

If this last marriage is correct, they were both alive and on the 2002/9 electorial roll
If you look at this web page - http://www.192.com - and do an advanced search for James Archer, age 65+ living Wednesbury, you will get an index. You have to pay to get at the details of address etc.
Also there is a telephone number and address for a J Archer living in Wednesbury. 0121 5318350 - 72 Hill St, Wednesbury, WS10 9LD
Obviously care must be taken if contacting this person

dave

Last edited:
Hi Jayne
I don't really know, but if it is the right James he looks as if he may have spent his life in Wednesbury. I don't know much about adoptions, except its hard to find details.
I was trying to find how you linked to James but I can't find a child Jayne who is related to Archer
dave

jayneflop

hi dave i aint really sure any of it being connected so i really want to leave it until i can get some more information but i suppose iv got to look at family members to see if any of them had james at some time just thought i may be able to find out if he was adopted but dont know where to look

Hi Jayne
from the info you gave I think the marriage between James S Archer and Annie Hocknull in 1932 is correct. If you are sure James was born 1936, I think he is right also. If he is an uncle he must be a brother of one of your parents. Can you give me any of these names with which I can check my info.
dave

jayneflop

hi dave yea my dad is colin born 1933 then patricia born 1942 and warren born 1946 we have said there is a big gap between my dad and pat and my dad can remember being about 2or 3 and my nan going mad at my grandad telling him to never come back and threw her wedding ring at him ,but he never went , could it be that he made her give up this son my auntie pat nows quite a bit about the family but nows nothing of this but then again they wouldnt have broadcast it would they

tast5

I know this is late, but just came across your thread.
My father in law is James archer, the son of Elizabeth and James. The James who married Shiela Simmonds. If theres any info I can find out for you let me know.

Regards

Pat
(im married to Dave son of sheila and Jim)

jayneflop

hi tast5 when i started my tree i found that there was a james archer born 1936 and his mothers maiden name was hocknull,when i started looking i found that there was a gap between my dad colin and his sister patricia of 9 years so my brain started working and i thought perhaps my nan had another child and perhaps gave it away,i dont know but it seems to much of a coincidence doesnt it,i may be wrong,if you can find out anything perhasps we can confide,i may be totally wrong but keep in touch,jayne