• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Archibald Elliott Parkinson

Website
www.gowerseafishing.co.uk
I'm trying to solve something of a puzzle with my grandfather's (Archibald Elliott Parkinson) parents. He was born in Exeter while his father was in military service. I have his birth certificate which shows place of birth as Southern Company, Exeter. His father was Thomas Parkinson and his mother's maiden name was Catherine Elliott. Archibald Elliott Parkinson was living with his grandfather (Archibald Elliott - Catherine's father) in the 1891 Census return. My puzzle is...I can find no trace of Thomas or Catherine anywhere. Can anyone help please?
Regards
David

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi David,

When was Archibald born, he's not showing up on the 1891 census (not on the site I use) and what about Archilbald Elliotts details?. On the 1901 census the only Archilbald Parkinson born Exeter abt 1887 father Thomas but Thomas's wifes name is Ellen. Thomas born Liverpool, Ellen born Hampshire. Have you tried obtaining Thomas's military record?

Website
www.gowerseafishing.co.uk
Hi David,

When was Archibald born, he's not showing up on the 1891 census (not on the site I use) and what about Archilbald Elliotts details?. On the 1901 census the only Archilbald Parkinson born Exeter abt 1887 father Thomas but Thomas's wifes name is Ellen. Thomas born Liverpool, Ellen born Hampshire. Have you tried obtaining Thomas's military record?
Hello Julie,
Many thanks for the reply. I have Archibald Elliott's (my g'father) Birth Certificate. He was born while his father was in the army. The copy I have is from the Army Register and it shows his date of birth as 01/03/1887. On the certificate it shows his father as....5949 Gnr. Thomas Parkinson. I assume 5949 would be his army number. I confess it had never occurred to me to obtain his service record in order to discover his date of birth. Certainly worth a try. Ironically I have only just found my father's army number and am about to send off for his service record. My grandfather's army number (ie, Archibald Elliott) still has to be unearthed from somewhere.
Again, many thanks for your reply. You have certainly given me a lead to follow up.
Best wishes
David