• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Are these the right immigration records?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Following my success and with help from Juliejtp I may have found a passenger list for my ancestor Thomas Musgrave.

The 1900 census says he emigrated in about 1887. It looks like his daughter went with him to join his other daughter Elizabeth.

Thomas Musgrave had a daughter Margaret born in March 1871 in Coundon, Durham. A Margaret Musgrave wed Thomas Prosser in Allegheny, Pennsylvania in 1889. The 1900 census says Margaret was born in March 1871 and emigrated in about 1887 so that looks like Margaret, daughter of Thomas.

In September 1886 a Thomas and Margaret Musgrave arrived in Philadelphia on the ship Lord Gough. Margaret was aged 14 and Thomas was aged 48, although my Thomas would have been 58 at the time not 48. My Thomas was a coal miner and the passenger list says he was a Labourer. Could that be a basic term for a miner?

Are ages given on passenger lists reliable? My Thomas emigrated in about 1887 so it does seem a bit of a coincidence. Any ideas?