• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

are they real or fiction, what do you think

:confused: Here is a question, I have spent many months tring to find and build my family tree just on my mother's fathers side and have joined everything I can that would get me more information, but I am still just in the 1800's. Now an aunt on my fathers side had paid to have a tree of his family done. After all the time and work I have put in with alot of help from others, I have not gotten all that far, this really makes me wonder if the tree she had made that went back centuries is really true or alot of fabrication and guess work. What do you all think, is it really or fiction? :eek:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Joyce,

Its hard to say whether its fact or fiction, researchers have a lot of experience know what records to look at, if they are unable to look up the records because there are in another area perhaps then they will employ someone who is in that area to look these records up making the time factor shorter. You could always tactfully ask your aunt if the researcher gave her a list of the records they used and what were they.

Julie

Julie

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi joyceawood17,

Totally agree with Julie :)
You could always tactfully ask your aunt if the researcher gave her a list of the records they used and what were they
We cannot prove anything without the correct records to validate the information.

Many times I have got carried away with some information I really thought was from my ancestors. Spent time (precious) researching, only to find when the birth certificate or wedding cert showed that it was not one of my ancestors. I also know of some people who have "researched" their ancestors by collecting names going virtually back to adam and eve!! :rolleyes:

Cheers
Dave