• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Argyllshire Origin

horse

Loyal Member
Thanks Geoff.

No death in NSW index with the right age for an Alexander McKenzie with parents Donald & Christina. No marriage and no baptism for children on SP for such a couple but that does not prove one or both parents on Mary's death reg are wrong.
It only takes an error or two to make life difficult :eek:

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Oh! This may clear up a couple of points..

Just checked the passenger list on the Charlotte Jane, there is an Alexander McKenzie [32] and an Edwin [27], both from Garey, Argyllshire and both farm labourers.

Geoff

EDIT: So they all travelled together.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

I have found something. There is a McKenzie family in NSW with Donald & Christina and 10 children including a Mary. There is no death on that tree for Mary. So we should have two deaths in NSW for a Mary Cameron with parents Donald & Christina.

Marriage 7014/1890 CAMERON GEORGE - MCKENZIE MARY A - TARALGA

Birth MACKENZIE MARY A 7926/1862 DONALD - CHRISTINA - GOULBURN

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
1913 NSW Electoral Roll - MURRUMBIDGEE - RANNOCK POLLING-PLACE
CADY Andrew Cameron, Strathairn, Rannock, farmer
CADY Christina Ann, Strathairn, Rannock, domestic duties
CADY Donald McKenzie, Strathairn, Rannock, farmer

Christina Ann is the daughter of Andrew Cameron & Mary McKenzie.

Not easy to follow but .. "Uncle and Auntie lived at "Daisybank" Laggan until about 1909 and then moved to Strathairn in 1910 and remained there until their deaths in 1937. Auntie died in April and Uncle in July."

Now that proves there has to be a connection and something is very wrong somewhere.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok, Strathairn is not a property but a locality with several families.

Death MCKENZIE SARAH ANN 12334/1937 ALEXANDER SARAH - GOULBURN

Death MCKENZIE WILLIAM DONALD 19332/1937 WILLIAM DONALD - CHRISTINA - GOULBURN

In other records that William Donald is just Donald.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

There is also an 'Strathairn Estate' in early 1920s that was set up for returned soldiers - Soldier Settler scheme to put them on farms.

Ok getting back to Alexander 32 and Edwin 27. I can't find a death in NSW for Edwin with parents that match Mary's.

Reel 2458 at State Library should have parents names and if living then where.

Mary = Cof S Alexander & Edwin Presbyterian. Native places are not the same. Brothers but Mary may not be a sister. ??

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
??
Death CAMERON MARY ANN 24144/1941 DONALD - CHRISTINA - SCONE

Need age at death.

CAMERON Mary Ann Obituary 24DEC1941 Publication 79 at Scone Newcastle Herald 24DEC1941

Ok, that is the one born in NSW in 1862 who married George Cameron.

Dave

horse

Loyal Member
Mary = Cof S Alexander & Edwin Presbyterian. Native places are not the same. Brothers but Mary may not be a sister. ??
Yeah, could be cousins, could be their choice of religion? Barbara noted that the place could have noted how it was said, same may apply to Alexander & Edwin.

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes. I will have to find the time to go to the State Library. I have lots of shipping reels to view. Plus plenty of other things to look up once this house is sold. Inspection again tomorrow. Not much interest shown so far at a price I'd prefer.

Why did we choose 1848 arrival?

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sat, Wed & Sat = 12, 3 & 8 viewed it so far and only one local person interested but at a price 20% lower than the agents estimated two months ago.
The market peak was middle of last year so prices are falling but not that fast.

Dave

horse

Loyal Member
Sat, Wed & Sat = 12, 3 & 8 viewed it so far and only one local person interested but at a price 20% lower than the agents estimated two months ago.
The market peak was middle of last year so prices are falling but not that fast.
Not an easy one, Dave.. Looking at those numbers will you have to revise your price?

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not only revise down my reserve for the auction but it will limit my choice of 2 bedroom flat. Total of 53 2-bedroom units on the market in Dee Why ranging from $500k to $1.5m. Lots of the cheaper ones are in small old blocks of 9 units on 3 floors with the unit for sale mainly first floor which I'm trying to avoid. Top floor or ground floor provided the ground floor one is secure and has a garden or at least a place to put some pot plants.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

Auction set for 9 March. State election 23 March and Federal election in May or can be called earlier. Both may mean Labor gets back in.

Dave