• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Arthur HAMILTON born 1889 Chiswick

Sashar

Looking for some help in finding Arthur Shawyer HAMILTON born 14.4.1889 Chiswick.
I believe this is his family in 1901:-
Arthur Hamilton 1890 Son Turnham Green
Fanny ditto 1869 wife Hanby Dorlemouth, Hampshire
Lilly ditto 1894 daughter Turnham Green
Lizzie ditto 1897 ditto ditto
William ditto 1859 Head ditto

All were in Chiswick, Middlesex--just like in 1891 Census with an exception for William.

A relative descended from a sibling of Arthur believes in 1911 he was in the Army in Egypt.
I would like to check this as in September 1912 he married in Sth Australia.

There is an A.S.HAMILTON departing London 1910 to Fremantle Perth WA but I don't know if this would be my man. Dates are all conflicting but hoping I can sort out something with the Census.

Some of his siblings seem to have the surname HAMMERTON.

Appreciate some advise,
Sashar

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Sashar,

One of several other members will be able to give you more info but I found this in the index:

1 results found. You searched for:
Last names HAMILTON
Last names Algorithm Exact
Birth Year 1889
Birth Year +/- 2 years
Birth Place CHISWICK

HAMILTON ARTHUR 1890 21 Overseas Military

Regards,

Dave

Sashar

Thanks Dave,

I forgot to say there was also another Arthur HAMILTON in the 1901 Census born Chiswick 1890 as follows:-
John Hamilton Head 1862 Ireland
Jane ditto Wife 1861 Darwen, Lancashire
Arthur ditto Son 1890 Chiswick
John ditto son 1889 West Gorton, Lancashire

I'm trying to sort out the two Arthur's but I know the Arthur I am interested in has the father William. I have a copy of Arthur's second marriage in SA in 1930 where it states his father was William. It also stated Arthur was 41 from Chiswick. I don't know how long Arthur was a resident of Australia.

At least I know there was an Arthur HAMILTON in the Services, just have to sort out which one it was.

Thankyou for your help,
Sashar

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Sashar,

The search as listed in post #2 gave only one result. There is no death in England that I can see to explain why only one of the 2x Arthur both born Chiswick appeared in the 1911 index. Perhaps one didn't state place of birth as Chiswick or the name is not HAMILTON in the index, not listed as such or mistranscribed off the image. I searched without a given name to allow for A.S. and variations.

Someone with access to the images should be able to sort it out.

Regards,

Dave

Sashar

Hi Dave,
That's interesting there being only 1 Arthur in 1911 and no death of an Arthur.
That could mean that the A S HAMILTON found on the 1910 passenger list to Fremantle is mine and the Arthur HAMILTON you found in the Military in 1911 is the Arthur with the father John.

Arthur had the middle name SHAWYER on his 1930 marriage and I'm wondering if that may have been his mother's maiden name. He named the house he lived in Adelaide "Chiswick" so I think he may have missed his birthplace.

Thanks again for the info, it's proving most interesting,
Sashar

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Sashar,

There are numerous errors in transcribing data off images. I'd suggest you wait for the full listing of both families in 1911.

I'll see what else I can find.

Regards,

Dave

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have access Sashar so tell me what you would like me to find.

A strange thing on the 1911 census - William states he has two children born alive and two still living and Lilly and Lizzie are with him and Fanny. Under Fanny's name there are numbers but these are crossed out. They have been married 22 years. Perhaps they didn't understand the question but was he def William's.

I found the Arthur in the millitary in Egypt but he is just listed with many other soldiers so doesn't help much.

Barbara

Arthur 5ft 2inches aged 17 with parents William and Fanny, and siblings Lily and Elizabeth who lived at 12 Chapel Houses, Turnham Green Chiswick, joined the 5th Btn, Royal Fusiliers, City of London Reg, 7th Foot, on 26/1/1907 No 6604. He signed up for 6 years but was given a free discharge on 15/8/1908, so the one in Egypt cannot have been him. It does not give a reason for his discharge
Nat archives no WO96/141/140

He had a 34 inch chest, so coupled with his height, he was only a small chap. He had only done 49 days of drill before his discharge, and his character was Good, so I wonder if it was something to do with his health which gave the problem

dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Arthur 5ft 2inches aged 17 with parents William and Fanny, and siblings Lily and Elizabeth who lived at 12 Chapel Houses, Turnham Green Chiswick, joined the 5th Btn, Royal Fusiliers, City of London Reg, 7th Foot, on 26/1/1907 No 6604. He was given a free discharge on 15/8/1908, so the one in Egypt cannot have been him. This also explains why he is still in Chiswick in 1911.
It does not give a reason for his discharge
Nat archives no WO96/141/140
dave
Hello dave,

I'm puzzled. The search of the index did not turn up a Arthur HAMILTON born 1890 +/- 2 in Middlesex in 1911. So all those details are correct but he is not in the index? What have I missed?

Regards,

Dave

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
The one in Egypt shows up as being in England in the index but this just means the English army, as he is really in Egypt. I can't find another who is born Chiswick but there is one born Islington and another Battersea. Perhaps he is the one who went on the ship 1910?

I found that army record too but why does this mean he is not the one in Egypt. Could he not have joined up again. Sorry Dave, you know I am not good on army records but do seem to have seen two separate army records for the same person before?

Barbara

Under Fanny's name there are numbers but these are crossed out. They have been married 22 years. Perhaps they didn't understand the question but was he def William's.

Barbara
Hi Barbarah
I think the numbers by Fanny's name are 2 and 2 which have a squiggle to cross them out, then they have put " under years married and next to the crossed out 2's

dave

Hi Barbara and dave
Sorry, my fault, I thought I had read Arthur was in Chiswick in 1911.
I suppose he could have re joined a different regiment. Depends why he was discharged I suppose. If he was fit enough to do a support job rather than front line. There is no doubt the William who was discharged was William's son as all the details I gave were taken from the soldier record, inc the address which i see is where they lived in 11. I wonder why they put they only had 2 children.
dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
This is getting rather odd.

If we have 2x Arthur born in Chiswick then there is only one birth reg with the name HAMILTON.

Births Mar 1890
Hamilton Arthur Brentford 3a 116

Where is the one April 1889?

Births Jun 1888
HAMMERTON Arthur William W Brentford 3a 80

So married 22 years. I can't see the marriage of William to Fanny/Frances 1886 -1890 assuming Fanny was born in 1869.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks as though there is no birth reg for Arthur. I thought this was odd and it is:

Marriages Mar 1890
Hamilton William Henry Brentford 3a 69
Shawyer Mary Ann E F Brentford 3a 69

Or a late registration and the Mar 1890 one is his. Then this is the 2nd one:

Births Sep 1891
Hamilton Arthur Brentford 3a 56

HAMILTON, William Head Married M 52 1839 General Labourer Chiswick
HAMILTON, Fanny Wife Married F 22 1869 Portsmouth Hampshire
HAMILTON, Arthur Son M 2 1889 Chiswick Middlesex

Piece:1034 Folio: 13 Page:22

Registration District:Brentford
Civil Parish: Chiswick
Address: 12, Chapel Houses, Essex Place, Chiswick Middlesex

Still same address as in 1911, and Fanny as mother.

dave

edit - good find dave, is Fanny Mary Ann E. F.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Here is a baptism for the other Arthur from FMP

Hamilton

Forenames:Arthur

Baptism Year:1890

Baptism Month:OCT

Baptism Day: 9

Mother:Jane

Father:John

Birth Year:

Birth Month:

Birth Day:

Place:Chiswick

County:Middlesex

Source:St.Nicholas Chiswick 1855-1901 baptisms

Notes:

Record source:Thames & Medway Baptisms

Data provider:Rob Cottrell, Trueflare Limited

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Has that problem returned, Barbara or didn't it resolve?

That baptism you just found the son of John & Jane from post #3 can't be the one with the Sep 1891 reg so it must be the Mar 1890 leaving no reg for Arthur son of William and Mary Ann E F (Fanny).

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Is this what we have been looking for

Births Jun 1889

Shawyer Arthur Brentford 3a 117
Yes, exactly, dave. ;)

There is an A.S.HAMILTON departing London 1910 to Fremantle Perth WA...
That's the son of William & Fanny. So the one in 1911 is either of the other two. No sign of a death with an age that fits before 1911 so there still should be 2 out of 3x Arthur in 1911, born 1890-91.

Last edited:
Hi Dave
I was going to say I think the Arthur who migrated in 1910 was the one. Do you have info that says his parents were William and Fanny. The only thing I found on the shipping record was that he was a labourer, which tallies with his occupation when he signed up, ie labourer at a Brewery. I think this much more likely than the one in Egypt, being in SA the next year

dave