• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Arthur Hardy born 1880 in Staveley. Derbyshire

Chris Godfrey

Hello I was wondering if someone could confirm the parents of a Arthur Hardy.

I have him on a 1881 census as having parents names as John and Fanny Jane, FMP has brought this record up and says it has 100% relevance. Am i to trust that?

Chris Godfrey

I've been told that Arthur is one of maybe 9/10 siblings but following the census I've only seen 5. Would it be normal for siblings to be missed off in-between census for any reason

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Taken from familysearch, either years of birth taken from christening from censuses.

George Henry Hardy -1878
Arthur Hardy - 1880
Cate Elizabeth Hardy - 1875
Sarah Ann Hardy - 18
Gladys Hardy - 1891
Ernest Hardy - 1885
May Hardy - 1889
Mary Hardy - 1888

Have you found John and Fanny Jane on the 1911 census, if so what does it say regarding children born alive and died. That might be the case that some died.

Chris Godfrey

the only one i have found is for a John, Jane (wife) 2x sons John and Harold.

John head of the family is down as an invalid formerly a coal miner which matches previous census records

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
If you add John and Harold to the 8 I found, making 10. The year of birth for Cate Elizabeth Hardy year of birth taken from the 1881 census is before parents married, so birth registration maybe under Davies.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
May have found Cate Elizabeth Hardy. A John Thomas Wall married a Kate Elizabeth Davis - 1897 Chesterfield. This Kate’s place of birth on the census is Staveley, year of birth 1875. I’ve tried checking the childrens birth registration on the GRO site, nothing comes up with their surname Wall. Looks like errors on the site.

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
A possible for Ernest Hardy.

Marriage - 25 Feb 1909 - Swanwick Derbyshire

Ernest Hardy - Year of birth 1885 - Father John Hardy
Spouse Ethel Harrison - Year of birth 1888 - Father Benjamin Harrison

Ernest and Ethel are in the registration district of Chesterfield in 1911 bis occupation is colliery pick sharpener surface.

Chris Godfrey

May have found Cate Elizabeth Hardy. A John Thomas Wall married a Kate Elizabeth Davis - 1897 Chesterfield. This Kate’s place of birth on the census is Staveley, year of birth 1875. I’ve tried checking the childrens birth registration on the GRO site, nothing comes up with their surname Wall. Looks like errors on the site.
Staveley is the area in which her family is from so this ticks all the boxes. This is very helpful thank you very much