• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Arthur Jennings from Newington. My Grandfather ?

My grandfather Arthur Jennings was born in c1878 and died in the oxford workhouse infirmary in June 1911 aged 33,I have a copy of his death certificate , he died of acute rhuematism and heart failiure.I can't find a marriage for him and my Gran Emily (maiden name Masters), So the valuable data from a marriage certificate to help identify his origins is not available. Emily is down on Arthur’s death cert as Emily Jennings, as she is also Emily Jennings on the 1911 census. There were three children, Montague Arthur Jennings (my dad) b1907, Nora Anne b1908 and Fredrick b1910. Just before his death their address was 37 Jericho st Oxford, which I understand to be a very poor area indeed. Their address prior to that was 4 Wards Row, Georges mews in St Peter Le Bailey Oxford. His profession is stated as stableman /livery.The most likely Arthur Jennings was b.c1878 Newington Oxfordshire

In 2008 I submitted the above information to the OFHS . A lady from OFHS told me in no uncertain words he could not have been the right one for me as he had two children ( George and Winifred) supposed to be born to him in the area of Gaydon and as the OFHS member is respected in genealogy circles I believed her ,foolish boy! This sent me on a wild goose chase for some time.

However I now know the parents of these children were George and Mary Ann Jennings who were in the area of Gaydon (stockton) for 4 or 5 years . The conclusion I have come to is that the Arthur Jennings I am looking for is the one born to Stephan(stephen) Jennings in Newington 1878. I cannot find any marriage details for Arthur and Emily and as she came to Leicester about 1917- 1919 and lived "over the brush" as my mum called it , with a chap called George , it might be safe to consider marriage did not figure too highly on her priorities.I have looked on Free BDM,Find My Past and Ancestry for a marriage without success .Suggestions please.

Regards Graham