• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Arthur Jennings from Newington. My Grandfather ?

My grandfather Arthur Jennings was born in c1878 and died in the oxford workhouse infirmary in June 1911 aged 33,I have a copy of his death certificate , he died of acute rhuematism and heart failiure.I can't find a marriage for him and my Gran Emily (maiden name Masters), So the valuable data from a marriage certificate to help identify his origins is not available. Emily is down on Arthur’s death cert as Emily Jennings, as she is also Emily Jennings on the 1911 census. There were three children, Montague Arthur Jennings (my dad) b1907, Nora Anne b1908 and Fredrick b1910. Just before his death their address was 37 Jericho st Oxford, which I understand to be a very poor area indeed. Their address prior to that was 4 Wards Row, Georges mews in St Peter Le Bailey Oxford. His profession is stated as stableman /livery.The most likely Arthur Jennings was b.c1878 Newington Oxfordshire

In 2008 I submitted the above information to the OFHS . A lady from OFHS told me in no uncertain words he could not have been the right one for me as he had two children ( George and Winifred) supposed to be born to him in the area of Gaydon and as the OFHS member is respected in genealogy circles I believed her ,foolish boy! This sent me on a wild goose chase for some time.

However I now know the parents of these children were George and Mary Ann Jennings who were in the area of Gaydon (stockton) for 4 or 5 years . The conclusion I have come to is that the Arthur Jennings I am looking for is the one born to Stephan(stephen) Jennings in Newington 1878. I cannot find any marriage details for Arthur and Emily and as she came to Leicester about 1917- 1919 and lived "over the brush" as my mum called it , with a chap called George , it might be safe to consider marriage did not figure too highly on her priorities.I have looked on Free BDM,Find My Past and Ancestry for a marriage without success .Suggestions please.

Regards Graham

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Graham
It's a toughie for you.
In the census taken after 1901, please can you give us Emily's age and birthplace.
It may help to trace her under her maiden name in 1901.
A long shot I know.
All the best
Ozn

Hi
I have been looking at your tree and come to the same conclusion as yourself, re Arthur.
1911 - he is with Emily 26 and the children you mention. I traced Emily and came up with

1871 census - Emma Baggott 43, John 14, Benjamin 9, Edward 5, Frederick 4M, Daniel Masters 22 son married, Ann Masters 19 D in Law

marriage Mar 1871 Oxford, Daniel Masters to Annie Baggott 3a 697

1881 census Daniel Masters 34, Ann (Baggott) 30, Elizabeth 10 Ernest 8, Annie 6, Joan 4, Thomas 2

marriage Dec 1899 Oxford, John Weller to Annie Masters 3a 1739

1891- 1169-10-14, Daniel 43, Ann 39 with 8 children inc Emily 7 - all born Oxford.

1901 census - 1386-41-22 Annie 25 with step mother Ann Weller 50 Char, and siblings Emily 17, Alice 15, Rose 12, Beatrice 7, Maud 4, all born Oxford
-------
I followed Arthurs path
1901- 2948-27-10, lodger in Gaydon
1891- 986-82-5, aged 12, with mother Ann 47 in Newington
1881- 1294-104-7 aged 2 with parents Stephen 45 and Ann 41
1871- Stephen 37 Brockhampton and family
1861 Jun qtr, marriage Stephen to Ann Kent, Wallingford 2c 543
1861- 740-98-1, Stephen 26 with father Thomas 57, Brockhampton cottage
1851- Stephen Jennins 16 Serv in Brockhampton - Thomas 1690-343-1 recorded as Kinnings in Brockhampton with 3 children
1841- 881-17/4-3 Thomas 35 with 4 children.
On IGI children's mother is Sarah. I can't find surname or marriage, nor like yourself, can I find Arthurs marriage

dave

Last edited:
Hi
Reading your post again, I went back to Arthur in 1901. He is aged 22, lodging, with Wm Geefs a 70yr old Blacksmith. He was working as a Hay binder in Gaydon Warwickshire but born in Newington, Oxford. It may just be a mistake, he was put as married, but this has been crossed out and S put in its place. Emily 17, was still with her parents back in Oxford. This certainly looks like your man.
I wonder about the findings of the lady in OFHS as she mentions he had two children in Gaydon. He was a few years older than Emily, so could well have sown seeds before his children with her. There is also the point you made in that Emily lived over the brush with a man called George. You also say the two children were not Arthur's but to a couple called George and Mary Ann Jennings. Is one of them related to Arthur? I Wonder
One other point, you say Gaydon Stockton, whereas the census I quote says Gaydon,, Warwickshire.

dave

Gentlemen Thank You for valiant efforts .I will have to explain why Stockton is relevent .Both Stockton and Gaydon are villages in Warwickshire .Stockton a very small village on the A426 road two miles north-east of Southam.Southam is the registration district where the 2 children's births were registered.Gaydon is approximatley 5 miles south west of Southam and again Southam was also the registration district for Gaydon.I know from the 1911 census George's (b1910) birth is recorded as Stockton and I know Winifred A (b1907) was born and died there as well. George and Mary Ann Jennings were their parents .This Jennings family has no connection to mine although in the 1911 census they are in Leicestershire and pre 1901 census came from leicestershire.I believe the OFHS researcher saw the married and then crossed out entry in the1901 census ,looked for births in that registration district and came to the conclusion he was their father.I have tried to contact the researcher on several occasions to ask what parish records she used but have yet to receive a reply or aknowledgment! I think I need to contact relatives of this Newington Arthur to see if they have any anecdotal evidence that might have been passed down through the generations.Once again thank you for your help.
Regards Graham