• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Artists \rifles

I'm wanting to research the service history of Harry Atkins, born 1896 in Bradford Yorkshire. Apparently he served in the Artists Rifles in World War 1 but died of TB in Grassington Sanatorium, Yorkshire in 1924, leaving behind a wife and son. I've put together a sizeable family tree over the last couple of years but I haven't a a clue where to start on military research. All help would be appreciated

horse

Loyal Member
Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
This looks like the same one...

Harry Atkins
Regiment or Corps: 25th London Regiment, 25th London Regiment
Regimental Number: 2369, 740989
I'm not sure that would be the correct regiment though, the Artists Rifles Assoc'
quote this "1/28th County of London Battalion (Artists' Rifles)"

Geoff

The info about its being the Artists Rifles came from a relative so may be inaccurate, although the son he left behind, still alive and living in Bakewell, served throughout World War II so I would expect a degree of accuracy. My problem is I 've no idea what the record means. Is it a campaign medal he got?

Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
My problem is I 've no idea what the record means. Is it a campaign medal he got?
I suspect it is the same/similar record as gibbo found, which means it is a medal card.

Also as gibbo suggested we really need one of our military buffs to have a look.

Geoff