• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ashcroft

patrickw

Hello, wonder if anyone can help me trace an Ashcroft family living in the Barnoldswick, Skipton area. The only firm name I have is Harry (poss Harold)Ashcroft who went on to marry a Jane Ann xxxxx. In 1901 he may still have been a young man though, so I'm not sure if that will help.Sorry, thats all I have, hope its enough for someone to help. many thanks
Pat

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Patrick,

There is a Harry Ashcroft (living in the civil parish of Pudsey) born abt 1891 in Stanningley Yorks. Best thing is to get his marriage cert and his birth certificate to get his parents names.

pejay

Valued Member
Hi i have looked on the 1891 census I do not have access to the 1901 but cannot find anything, do you have a birth date or marriage date? we can perhaps work from that :(

patrickw

Hello Tazzetembe and Peejay, thank you both very much for your interest and taking the trouble to answer my question. Alas, the information I listed in the original post is the whole sum of my knowledge. The information is not vital at this stage but would have been another brick in the wall, however I will come back to it when I find something more about him, and may well ask for your help again then. Thanks to you both again, best wishes,
Pat

patrickw

Tazettemb and Pejay,
I just realised when I reread the above reply that I had spelt both your names wrong, sorry about that. On this showing, I would prob have made a good early victorian census taker. lol,thanks again
Pat

pejay

Valued Member
Hi Pat doesn't matter about the spelling yes you probably would have been good as a census enumerator! :eek: I have been looking again at the elusive Harry Ashcroft, Skipton is Yorkshire and not Lancashire, as I found a few in Lancashire, not Barnoldswick or Skipton though, how about Bamberbridge :eek:
b 25/3/1890 ch 1/6/1890.Parents Samuel and Emma? got this from the BIVRI.

patrickw

Hello again,
thanks for your latest efforts,
yes Skipton is in Yorks, but Barnoldswick is one of those places right on the border and has changed between Lancs and yorks (due to boundry changes) a couple of times. Bamber Bridge is certainly not out of the question and is a def possibility. I will get more out of this info and let you know.
Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated
best wishes
Pat

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Pat,

There are a family of Ascrofts living in the civil parish of Skipton on the Olive canal boat.

In 1901 the family are in Ormskirk, but still no Harry listed.

There is a marriage for a Harry Ashcroft in 1925 district Burnley. There are two grooms listed but only one bride who is a Janie Devonport.

Do you think he may have born after the 1901 census?

If you can get one of his childrens birth certificates which will have the mothers maiden name listed then that will help to trace his marriage.

patrickw

Hi julie,
this sounds promising, esp the marriage in Burnley. Thanks for that, as Ive said in earlier posts, my info on this man is very very limited, but I will certainly follow this up. Thanks again for your interest and supports. Have you ever come across the two grooms thing before, I wonder what the circumstances were for this to occur. Anyone got any ideas?
Best wishes
Pat