• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Aussie, USA and Canadian cousins.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have been researching and found out that several of my direct ancestors first cousins emigrated abroad as well as direct ancestor siblings and 1 direct ancestor himself.

I found my 3xgreat grandmothers first cousin William Luke Boniface emigrated aged 63 to Canada in 1907 and settled in York, Ontario. He had a sister who emigrated to Melbourne, Australia.

And my 4xgreat grandmother Maria Butler later Brain of Wootton, Oxfordshire had a few first cousins, a few of her mothers brothers children emigrated to Queensland in Australia.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jay

I may see if I can contact any descendants but the original immigrants are brown bread as they used to say :2fun:.

I just found my 6xgreat uncle Stannard Plumb arriving in Sydney, Australia on the 2nd January 1855 as a crew member. He was a mariner and seaman.

I dont know when he died yet but is back in England in 1861 at the time of the census and I cannot find him in the 1851 census so he may have been abroad then. FMP has Merchant Navy seaman records.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
James Hull, the first cousin of my 4xgreat gran was born and bred in Wooton, Oxfordshire. He was born in 1829 son of Thomas Hull (brother of my 5xgreat gran Mary Hull later Butler) and married in 1850 to Isabella Egglestone and they arrived in Melbourne, Australia in December 1852 on the Ship Bombay. They settled in Melbourne and James Hull died in 1911 after 58 years in Australia.

They had several children, the first Australian born child was Catherine Sarah Hull born in Brighton who died in 1854 as a baby. They had many that lived and had children so I will have distant cousins over there.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Im just amusing myself so i dont know if you want this info or already have it.

Coburg Cemetery [Victoria]

Deceased Details
FCMP Reg No 2561
Location MET*A***195
Area METHODIST:
Surname HULL
Given Names ISABELLA
Date Of Birth
Date Of Death 23 Nov 1904
Age 73

Deceased Details
FCMP Reg No 5610
Location MET*A***195
Area METHODIST:
Surname HULL
Given Names JAMES
Date Of Birth
Date Of Death
Age 84

http://mapping.fcmp.com.au:1001/Pubmapping/index.aspx

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo.

Thanks. It does look like my James Hull. The death notice looks like it says colonist for 80 years which is wrong unless it says 50 but it looks like an 8.

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member
Deaths.
HULL.-On the 28th May, 1911, at his son's residence, Mr Thomas Hull, "Musgrove," Welshpool, Gippsland, James Hull, sen., after a painful illness, aged 84 years. A colonist of over 60 years.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Ben there is a will online in the Victoria state archives site for James Hull if your interested in having a read.

DEATH_YEAR 1911
GENERAL_NOTES
NATURE_OF_GRANT P
DEATH_DATE_NOTES
GRANT_DATE_NOTES
RESIDENCE_NOTES
Occupation Gent
Given Name James
Family Name Hull
Alt Name
Title
Residence Welshpool
COUNTRY_OF_RESIDENCE
STATE_OF_RESIDENCE
TO_WHOM_COMMITTED
File_Number 120/411
Death_Date 28 May 1911
Grant_Date 1 Aug 1911

http://prov.vic.gov.au/wills-and-probate

calliek

Possibly your man

William Luke Bonniface
Death Date: 28 Feb 1923
Death County or District: York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Birth Location: England

there's loads on ancestry including photos if it's the right guy. Let me know if you want more details.

I have been researching and found out that several of my direct ancestors first cousins emigrated abroad as well as direct ancestor siblings and 1 direct ancestor himself.

I found my 3xgreat grandmothers first cousin William Luke Boniface emigrated aged 63 to Canada in 1907 and settled in York, Ontario. He had a sister who emigrated to Melbourne, Australia.

And my 4xgreat grandmother Maria Butler later Brain of Wootton, Oxfordshire had a few first cousins, a few of her mothers brothers children emigrated to Queensland in Australia.

calliek

W L Boniface
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Date of Arrival: 10 Apr 1907
Vessel: Kensington
Search Ship Database: View the 'Kensington' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia and Portland, Maine
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England