• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Australia WW2

gibbo

Loyal Member
These were given to me the other day, they belonged to my grandfather.
Australia WW2. Does anyone know which part of the uniform these would have been worn please? I was told on the slouch hat and someone else said there were worn on the arm band:confused: Thanks:)

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks Dave and Dave:biggrin:

I just checked one of the links daveham posted and the badge on that link is bigger than mine. Mine measure 2.5cm high X 4cm. Maybe my grandads was worn on his uniform with the size his were.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_(badge)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WW1-WW2-Australian-Army-Rising-Sun-Hat-Badge-ANZAC-/260799872489

Interesting. It may not only be the hat.

I have an answer from one who wore one. :)

Two smaller rising sun badges on the collar but not on the arm. The unit patch was on the arm.

Thanks Dave, so it appears both who suggested to me where he wore them were both wrong:biggrin: So mine been the smaller ones would have been worn on his collar:)

I think most were made of brass, but some of an alloy. 'Brasso' should do the trick, but if you want to keep its value, its taboo to clean them. Dealers want them in their original condition.

When I was in the army, we had a piece of flat brass with a slot down the middle open at one end. You slid the button you wanted to polish down the slot, so the flat plate covered your tunic. You could then polish to your hearts content without marking your tunic.

dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
I think most were made of brass, but some of an alloy. 'Brasso' should do the trick, but if you want to keep its value, its taboo to clean them. Dealers want them in their original condition.

When I was in the army, we had a piece of flat brass with a slot down the middle open at one end. You slid the button you wanted to polish down the slot, so the flat plate covered your tunic. You could then polish to your hearts content without marking your tunic.

dave

Thanks Dave. They are going to be handed down to my son so they wont be getting sold but yet want to keep them as original as i can so might be best if i just leave them as they are. I was given a tiny tin box with a few bits and pieces in it that belonged to my grandfather including his 1978 membership badge to the ex services memorial club he was a member of:biggrin: And there is a button of his army uniform in there to. It has a pic of Australia in the middle with the words Australian Military Forces written around the button.