• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Australian Death Certificate

NewMexican

How do I get hold of an Australian Death Certificate? I'm looking for children of my great uncle Frank Leonard Crompton who died in NSW in 1992. I'm hoping the cert. will list the children as next of kin.

Thanks for any help

Janice

NewMexican

Thanks gibbo! Looking at their site it seems I cannot qualify to get either a "real" certificate or a family history one as Frank died too recently - 1992.
I've asked if there is any way to do it and am awaiting a reply - but it seems it is very difficult to get recent data out of Australia as they have strict privacy laws. Any other ideas?

Janice

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks gibbo! Looking at their site it seems I cannot qualify to get either a "real" certificate or a family history one as Frank died too recently - 1992.
I've asked if there is any way to do it and am awaiting a reply - but it seems it is very difficult to get recent data out of Australia as they have strict privacy laws. Any other ideas?

Janice
Hi Janice
I should have known that as only last week i enquired about a death cert from nsw and as the person i was looking for died in 1995 that was the end of that. BUT do you know the actual date of death and place [town] of death?
gibbo

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

CROMPTON Frank Leonard Death notice 06SEP1992 Death 85 late of Toukley, formerly of Homebush and Wingham Sydney Morning Herald 07SEP1992

It would be possible to go from there.

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hello,

CROMPTON Frank Leonard Death notice 06SEP1992 Death 85 late of Toukley, formerly of Homebush and Wingham Sydney Morning Herald 07SEP1992

It would be possible to go from there.

Regards,

Dave
Hi Dave
how did you do that? I can never find them sort of things
gibbo

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi gibbo,

Ryerson and SMH for post 2005 deaths:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nswsdps/dpsindex.htm

Since I have already subscribed I will request a look up of the death/funeral notice - if a volunteer has a copy on CD then I'll get the details. As of 1 Jan 2009 they no longer send volunteers to the SLNSW. Ryerson has reverted to being an indexing organisation.

Dave

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi gibbo,

Ryerson and SMH for post 2005 deaths:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nswsdps/dpsindex.htm

Since I have already subscribed I will request a look up of the death/funeral notice - if a volunteer has a copy on CD then I'll get the details. As of 1 Jan 2009 they no longer send volunteers to the SLNSW. Ryseson has reverted to being an indexing organisation.

Dave
Hey Dave
There you go i just learnt something new. Im going to go and have a play and see if i can find any of my relatives in there.
gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Janice

If you email the New South Wales Library at

library@sl.nsw.gov.au

with the info Dave has posted such as date of death, the papers name etc they may send you a copy of the obituary which may have some family members names in it. Could be worth a try.

gibbo

NewMexican

Well the Ryerson index really came through! I now have copies of two obits for great aunt and uncle which mention not only the 5 sons, but where they were living in 1992. ryersonindex.com

They also put me on to cemindex.arkangles.com a site which lists all the cemetaries in Australia complete with pics of headstones and inscriptions.

Janice

gibbo

Loyal Member
Well the Ryerson index really came through! I now have copies of two obits for great aunt and uncle which mention not only the 5 sons, but where they were living in 1992. ryersonindex.com

They also put me on to cemindex.arkangles.com a site which lists all the cemetaries in Australia complete with pics of headstones and inscriptions.

Janice
Hi Janice
Good on you!!

gibbo

NatC

How do I get hold of an Australian Death Certificate? I'm looking for children of my great uncle Frank Leonard Crompton who died in NSW in 1992. I'm hoping the cert. will list the children as next of kin.

Thanks for any help

Janice
Hi Janice, I stumbled across your enquiry in this forum and I am Frank's 2nd youngest granddaughter. I am the daughter of his second youngest son Len

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Natalie, I'm Janices' ex brother in law. As you can see this thread is 10 years old. For one reason or another, Janice is unable to give you any answers.

As Janice and I were related by marriage, we both have the same informatiomn on our trees. I perhaps have more, as I've continued to add to mine, but not all parts.

Frank Leonard Crompton
1907–1992
BIRTH 22 JAN 1907 • Paddington, London, England
DEATH 6 SEPT 1992 • Toukley, New South Wales, Australia

He would be a Gt..Gt.Gt. Uncle to my Grandkiddies.

Steve.:)

//

Last edited: