• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

back on the trail

Hi guys, well after a long break im back on the trail of my elusive webb family. im wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation would have been in WW1 about protected occupations. ive got 3 brothers william george webb samuel webb and noah webb, william and samuel both served and i have there records, but noah unfortunatly liked to change his name. he also goes by the name of thomas wright /noah wright and noah webb, he was born in castleford yorkshire in 1879 and lived at the time of the war in either hartlepool county durham or seaham which was part of easington at that time, in 1911 he was a miner at dawdon colliery nr seaham, but as ive never been able to find his records could he have not served due to his occupation, i know that was the case in WW2 but cannot remeber if it was WW1 as well.
suex

Hi Susan

as I understand it, coal mining would certainly be a protected job. During the early part of the 1st war there were enough 'volunteers' and part time soldiers, so although conscription was there, it was not necessary to apply it. Many workers in so called protected jobs enlisted because the 'work was regular and so was the money. A lot of men had only been working when they were lucky enough to be 'picked from a line of hopefuls, and many couldn't get work at all, so to have regular good money and travel was considered a luxury, and the horrors of war weren't realised. Because so many men who enlisted were skilled people it caused big problems filling the holes left
I am sure I have read that somewhere, but I may be completely wrong!!
dave

Hiya dave, from what i remember, some jobs where protected occupations but i think in the last year of WW1 due to massive losses of men they all got called up regardless, they were still calling men up in their 40s. like i said ive got his 2 brothers but not his military records, and ive tried all variations of his surname, do you remember noah webb/wright, dave, well ive finally got him sussed i think, being doing some research and its all sort of coming together hopefullky suex ps will keep:) ya posted

oh dave, he still up to his old name changing tricks haha, just wish i knew what he was up to in ww1 the tinker. braveheart: my hubbys great aunt wilhelminas husband was also killed at mesopotamina/iraq. suex

oh that would be great, will dig what info ive got out and post it tmoz, i seem to remember i couldnt find much about him, hes on my jeffries tree and im off that at the moment and on my webbs tree. i never really had much interest in the military, but since looking at the records the amount of info you can get in fab, even got a death certificate on one of the hubbys great uncles records, interesting stuff, but such a sad time . ps love the name love that film brave heart i read about william wallace after i watched it what a guy. suex:)