• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Back to my Roots.

leefer

Loyal Member
This Saturday i am off to Sheffield to watch my team Swindon try to get back on a winning track.

My Great Grandad Frank Halke was born in the city....his father George and his wife Annie lived in Fawcett Street....George worked as a grinder in the steel trade.
Later on in life my Great Grandad moved back nearer home....his daughter Hettie my Gran(mothers side)was born in Shepperton.

Windle who comes onto the forum is a direct descendant of the Halke family...she and her family are still in Sheffield today.
I have been there many times....but each time i go i think about Great Grandad...did he ever go to Brammal Lane to watch the footy....or down the road to watch Sheffield Wednesday....i will never know.

But i will be walking down the roads he most probably walked himself.

Regards to you all.

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Duckweed.....hope you are keeping well.

I note they are dragging it out abit regarding the listed building petition..good few signature now though.

Edit...nice that...hasnt Sharrow got lots of old terraced housing also?

And have you been to the lantern carnival?

duckweed

Loyal Member
Hi don't know if they are dragging it out re Jessop as Pickles refused to even examine papers and decision still stands. There is a national group that have taken it on because it is not only in Sheffield this is happening. Jessop could be a test case. But unless they can challenge on legal grounds the wing will be demolished.
Sharrow is like the rest of Sheffield full of surprises. Also within Sharrow is the Snuff Mill which still has its original water wheel. And this other lovely house across from Mount Pleasant.

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi don't know if they are dragging it out re Jessop as Pickles refused to even examine papers and decision still stands. There is a national group that have taken it on because it is not only in Sheffield this is happening. Jessop could be a test case. But unless they can challenge on legal grounds the wing will be demolished.
Sharrow is like the rest of Sheffield full of surprises. Also within Sharrow is the Snuff Mill which still has its original water wheel. And this other lovely house across from Mount Pleasant.
Should imagine the Snuff Mill is nothing to be sneezed at Duckweed...lets hope the wing is saved and others can draw strength from it,

duckweed

Loyal Member
Snuff business is growing since smoking has been banned in so many places. Maybe they will have to make snuff boxes in Birmingham again. Anyway in case you get lost here is another Landmark. Sheaf House, home of the Bramall's who were file manufacturers. The House was said to be full of artists writers and poets in its heyday. Nowadays full of Blades supporters.

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
Snuff business is growing since smoking has been banned in so many places. Maybe they will have to make snuff boxes in Birmingham again. Anyway in case you get lost here is another Landmark. Sheaf House, home of the Bramall's who were file manufacturers. The House was said to be full of artists writers and poets in its heyday. Nowadays full of Blades supporters.
May nip in there on Saturday:biggrin:

Sheaf after the Wheatsheaf....or Sheaf after the river that the city was named after.

That is the question:confused:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Yes their own brew amongst other real ales. The pub has been lovingly restored to its Edwardian glory. So something quite special. Let me know what you think.

leefer

Loyal Member
Very nice Duckweed...nice interior with some nice ale....went to the Howard after which was a little more ropey....and walked past the sadly closed down King of Prussia also!

Was beaten on the pitch(easily) but we popped into see the old Quays area near the canal on the way home...bit of Sheffield i havn't seen before...1815 and ancient.

Bye the way peeps i wasn't driving.....5 days a week is enough!

PS...also saw a nice building called Park House...looked like an old custom house.

Hopefully we will get Sheffield in the playoffs:biggrin:

duckweed

Loyal Member
I think Park House you mean was the Park keepers house, that is the manor park came all the way down to the canal.

The Talbots stopped the canal from coming any nearer than Tinsley. By the time they allowed it into Sheffield there was just a short gap before the railway came.

A lot of old pubs are closed as are some of the large breweries. Sign of the times but I am told that Sheffield still has more real ale than any other city. Not really my thing though.