• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bad News for Future Family Historians?

somerstown

Valued Member
The British Government is talking about scrapping the Census. Bad news for those in our hobby in years to come I would have thought?
Info is on the BBC News Web site.

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
Sorry but I did forecast this a few years ago.

Genbrit mailing list – Subject Re: 2011 UK Census – Date : Sat, 05 Jan 2002 13:59:13

It is possible that the 2011 census will be cancelled as there are far[FONT=&quot]
more convenient ways now for the government to gain such data, if there
is a 2011 census it will almost certainly be the last.
Cheers
Guy[/FONT]

To some of use the writing was on the wall a while ago, it was pretty obvious that the census was not going to last much longer if at all.

But on the other hand with the recent recommendation that the 30 year release period being reduced to 15 years it means that the collated databases will be released after only 15 years.
There are a huge number of databases that this will apply to and will release a surge of useful information to historians.
Cheers
Guy

snowydacat

It cant be true :eek:
We have already sat and discussed the confused look on our ancestors face when they try and work out how someone from London (me) and someone from Bolton (him) are living together in Norfolk with all four of their kids :2fun:
If I had that information on the census I would be scratching my head trying to work it out
Snowy