• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bainbridge

From
England
Hello, I need help as I'm confused after receiving a Birth Certificate for Isaac Bainbridge (my Great Grandfather). The certificate shows he was born 5th Jan 1839 in Bowes in the counties of Durham & Yorkshire. Where I'm confused is that his mother is shown on the cert' as Dorothy Bainbridge formerly Bainbridge! My tree on Ancestry and the trees from others searching the same family tree, show her maiden name as Law.

If it is formerly Bainbridge, is it possible she might have been married to another Bainbridge who died. How do I find the answer?

I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Hi,

It could possibly be an error on the part of whoever wrote the original entry. I have an example where Mary Ann Evans nee Woolfall, a widow, married a John Smith. Her father's name was entered as William Evans instead of William Woolfall. You also have to remember that at that time many people were illiterate so would not be aware that a mistake had been made.

Do you have the parish register entry for Dorothy's marriage. What surname does that give?

Emeltee

Thank you so much for your reply! I should now be looking at the Marriage record for Dorothy and Robert. Forgive me if I'm 'pushing my luck', where do I go to find that? I have paid for access to Ancestry.co.uk, would I find it by searching there?

ps, I had a look on Ancestry and found this,

Name: Dorothy Bainbridge
Marriage Date: 21 Aug 1829
Marriage Place: Romaldkirk, York, England
Spouse: Robert Bainbridge
FHL Film Number: 1912161
Reference ID: Page 96, Line 287

Last edited:
how sure are you that her maiden name was Law. I cannot find a record of this birth

There is a birth of a Dorothy Bainbridge Jul 1805 in Balderhead. I believe she was 23 when she married Robert in Mar 1829 so not a lot of time to have been married before this.

Usually if a 2nd marriage the bride is xxx formally yyy maiden name zzz but I wonder if formally Bainbridge in this case was because her maiden name was the same as her husband

edit - the two records I mention are available on this site - https://familysearch.org/search

Last edited:
Dave, I'm grateful for your reply.

On Ancestry, other Public trees on Bainbridge, some list Dorothy as Law whilst others list her as Bainbridge. Hence my confusion. Hmm, why would some have her as Law?

Thanks for the link, very useful.

Norm

ps, I wonder if I've been on the wrong person all this time as there is a record for a Dorothy Bainbridge born in 1806! See below

Dorothy Bainbridge

Mother

England and Wales Census, 1871
birth:
Baldersdale, Yorkshire
residence:
Dalton, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
child:
William Bainbridge
other:
Isabella Whitehouse

Last edited:
Hi Norman,

Looks like Robert and Dorothy were Isaac's parents, this is his baptism:

Name: Isaac Bainbridge
Baptism Date: 22 Jan 1839
Baptism Place: Bowes,York,England
Father: Robert Bainbridge
Mother: Dorothy
FHL Film Number: 0897351 IT 3

Amanda

just an observation re other peoples trees. Although very useful at times they are not always correct, so any info taken from them must be confirmed by other means. I have a tree, but have different parents of my gt gt grandfather to about 10 other trees. If they put two and two together they would know the parents they have cannot be right, but they have just copied what is there

dave

Amanda, I'm so grateful for your comment. I have a feeling I went 'off track' some time ago and now find I may have to go back and have a fresh look. I have obtained Birth Certificates for,
My father, my grandfather, my great grandfather and great great grandfather. But of course, that is only the start, I now so aware!

I'm finding this a bit of a struggle to be honest. I have tried to get my grandchildren interested but to not avail.

Dave's link to Family search is going to be a great help, I'm sure.

Thank you again.

ps, Dave you are so right. I trusted the information on the other trees and saw no reason to doubt it but I now see I was wrong to blindly follow.

Norm

Last edited:
Never mind Norman, we have all made mistakes big and small once the correct information becomes available it becomes easier.

Dave I've had the same thing, only yesterday I left a comment on someone elese tree. This person has my g g grandmother's brother with different parents, making her aunt and uncle his parents..... difficult when babies are born two years apart with the same name.....but I've had his marriage certificate attached to my tree for months now.

I could go on but I'm sure we have all come across something similar :confused:

Amanda

Yes I agree about others trees. If they can find it so can you. Do your own research as there is so much copying of trees on Ancestry. I have a person Elizabeth Frances Adamson
Birth 26 FEB 1810 in SELBY North Yorkshire England Death 29 DEC 1811 Buried in Abbey Yard, Selby

So many trees have her married.

Research gets easier the more you do. Always buy the Certs for your main line.
Always look at the filches at the Familysearch Centers.

Enjoy:)
Ellie

Dorothy Bainbridge
Christening Date: 22 Mar 1841
Christening Place: BOWES,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Robert Bainbridge
Mother's Name: Dorothy

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P02211-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 0897351 IT 3

Betsey Bainbridge
Christening Date: 17 Feb 1843
Christening Place: BOWES,YORK,ENGLAND
Mother's Name: Dorothy

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P02211-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 0897351 IT 3

Name:
Isaac Bainbridge
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1839
Where born:
Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish:
Bowes

Oldest Living Child
Name:
John Bainbridge
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1830
Where born:
Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish:
Bowes
Hundred:
West Gilling

John Bainbridge
Christening Date: 03 Jan 1830
Christening Place: Romaldkirk, York, England
Birthplace: Baldersdale
Mother's Name: Dorothy Bainbridge

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02807-7 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1912161 , Reference ID: item 2 p 131

Next is Jane
Name:
Jane Bainbridge
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1831
Where born:
Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish:
Bowes
Hundred:
West Gilling

Jane Bainbridge
Christening Date: 02 Mar 1831
Christening Place: Romaldkirk, York, England
Birthplace: Balder Head
Mother's Name: Dorothy Bainbridge

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02807-7 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1912161 , Reference ID: item 2 p 140

Hence the Marriage
Robert Bainbridge
Spouse's Name: Dorothy Bainbridge
Event Date: 21 Aug 1829
Event Place: Romaldkirk, York, England

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M01218-5 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1912161 , Reference ID: Page 96, Line 287

I would advice you to get the filche of Romaldkirk, York, England .
I have been doing my tree since 2003 with very little missed days.Oh dear when will I tire of this lovely hobby

Hello, Dorothy Bainbridge is my 2 great grandmother and I'm interested in if you have made any progress on this. To be honest these families seem to have come from a very small community and there seems to have been a few same name marriages.

Hope you have managed to get to the bottom of this.

Back