• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Baptised in 1910 aged 14? 2nd baptism.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ancestree hints can be bogus but sometimes they can be good. I think I found my great grandmother Helen Edgington's 2nd baptism in 1910 in North London.

She was born 17 July 1895 in Oxford, Oxfordshire. Baptised 2nd October 1895 at St Peter Le Bailey, Oxford, daughter of James and Thirza Edgington.

Somehow an Ancestree hint threw up an Ellen Edgington (daughter of James and Thersa Edgington) baptised March 1910at St John Vartry, Stamford Hill, Haringey, London. DOB given as 17 July 1896 (A year out but as well all know, ages are often wrong in records), father a carpenter. Living at 121 Stamford Hill. One the same day, 2 other teenage girls were baptised, also of 121 Stamford Hill, same age group as Ellen. All different parents. I would say they were all servants, wonder why 3 servants to the same house would be baptised on the same day?

By 1911 census, Ellen is in Bexhill, Sussex.

Last edited:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Further research says it was a convent, 119-121 Stamford Hill in North Hackney, and was just within the County of London. In the 1911 census, some of the inmates were training to be domestic servants. Helen had left by then.

Another direct ancestor who spent time in London. My fave ever large city. NY second.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think it was a house called Stonard House, Stamford Hill, Hackney. Was a ladies school and later a convent. A detached house with 14 bedrooms as well. Helen may have been there a while as some of the girls baptised with her on the same day in March 1910 were still in the convent in April 1911. Helen must have found a job.

I think the school records for St Peter Le Bailey School in Oxford are lost or destroyed, but I guess she left school about 1907. Then her father probably paid for her to train at a London convent.