• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

BARRACLOUGH Non-conformist records

DaveHam9

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hello,

I have some RG4 Non-conformist records and a few questions.

1. Milley BARROWCLOUGH c. 9 Jul 1793 Wesleyan, Holmfirth

Milley Daughr. of Benjm. & Esthor Barrowclough of Mealhill in the Parish of Kirkburton Baptizd. July 9th 1793 Duty Paid

Meal Hill is between Jackson Bridge and Hepworth.

2. John BARROWCLOUGH b. 28 Feb 1796 c. 15 Mar 1796 Lane Independent, Holmfirth

John Barrowclough Son of Benjamin Barrowclough and Esther his wife, of Underbank in the P. of Kirkburton & in the County of York / Born on the 28th Day of Feb. 1796 / was Baptized on the 15th Day of March 1796 -- By me Robt. Galland Protestant Dissenting Minister

Underbank is between Jackson Bridge and Holmfirth.

3. Ann BARRACLOUGH b. 7 Dec 1798 c. 26 Feb 1799 Lane Independent, Holmfirth

Ann Barraclough D. of Benjamin Barraclough & Esther his wife, of Jackson Bridge in the Parish of Kirkburton & in the County of York / Born on the 7th Day of December 1798 / was baptized on the 26th Day of February 1799 -- By me Robt. Galland Protestant Dissenting Minister

4. Joseph BARRACLOUGH b. 27 Jul 1801 Of Holmfirth,

Joseph the Son of Benjamin & Esther Barraclough was born at Jackson Bridge near Holmfirth, 27 July 1801.

5. Benjamin BARRACLOUGH b. 10 Aug 1803 Kirkburton

Benjamin the Son of Benjam & Esther Barraclough was born at Jackson Bridge, 10 August 1803, in the Parish of Kirkburton

6. Charlotte BARRACLOUGH b. 5 Mar 1806 Kirkburton

Charlotte Barraclough the Daughter of Benjamin and Esther Barraclough was born at Jackson Bridge in the Parish of Kirkburton Yorkshire March the 5 1806

7. Jacob BARRACLOUGH b. 27 Jul 1808 c. 26 Sep 1808 Hepworth Wesleyan, Jackson Bridge

Register of Baptisms at the Methodist Chapel Hepworth
Jacob son of Benj. & Esther Barraclough of Jackson Bridge in the Parish of Kirkburton born July 27 bapd. Sepr. 26 1808.

I notice the name was BARRACLOUGH from 1798 onwards.

What a curious pattern. One Wesleyan baptism followed by two Protestant Dissenting baptisms followed by three births and ending with a Wesleyan Methodist baptism at a different chapel to the first.

I'm especially curious why there are no baptism records for Joseph, Benjamin and Charlotte. What sort of register contains just births and no baptisms and at the same time covers MORE than one parish?

The records show births at Jackson Bridge in the Parish of Kirkburton and the entry below it is a birth at Lockwood in the Parish of Almondbury. The next one at Scholes in Kirkburton and the next at Mills Bridge in Almondbury and the next one in the Parish of Huddersfield. The entries in the register appear to be written by the same hand.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited: