• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Basic Poetry.

leefer

Loyal Member
Alfred Williams...the Hammerman poet wrote this poem...i love it because you could almost be in his little cottage in South Marston nr Swindon.
A hammerman at the local railworks he is remembered more for his writing than poetry.
Apologies for banging on about Alfred...he is an inspiration to me but this is the poem.

Sweet simple poverty,
How i love to see,
The humble labourers poor and homely fare,
The rustic firesides cheerful ruddy glare,
The blazing logs sawn from my own woodland tree.

The singing kettle,spouting furiously,
The husband returns to the good wifes care,
The gold tinted loaf and the steaming ware,
And infant perched on fathers knee.
And all are seated at the frugal board.

And hear the chosen compliment addrest,
The general happiness so well exprest,
The fond endearment and loving words,
Parents and child mutually adored,
And finally peaceful slumber and balmy rest.

Six working days doing twelve hours a day......no wonder he treasured his family,food and rest.