• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bastardy Order

In 1824 my ancestor had a bastardy order made against him by the mother for the child. Four years later she married and moved to another county with husband and child. Does anybody know what would happen in this case? I read somewhere that payments were collected at the workhouse? Would payments continue, stop or be smaller due to her marriage? How on earth did they manage when they were not literate! Thanks and fingers crossed someone will know the answer.

Similar threads