• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

BBC - WDYTYA - New Series!

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The first few series were good but it is now getting a bit same old same old with them going abroad to find a Jewish, Irish or Medditeranean ancestor, every celeb having an ancestor with a dark secret or who ran a big business, and the way it makes it sound so easy when in reality we spend hours slogging away in record office and sometimes can be lucky to find even a sentence of info on our ancestors in one days research.

Ben

Hi

The first few series were good but it is now getting a bit same old same old with them going abroad to find a Jewish, Irish or Medditeranean ancestor, every celeb having an ancestor with a dark secret or who ran a big business, and the way it makes it sound so easy when in reality we spend hours slogging away in record office and sometimes can be lucky to find even a sentence of info on our ancestors in one days research.

Ben
I agree, I've just been to West Yorkshire Archives today and it has taken me hours to plough through the parish records I want. I think, as others do that this series has very little substance and now needs to show the real work, the ploughing through the different archives and the joy when you do find a result - perhaps the series now needs "the normal touch", not the famous people it seems to be using at the moment.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Or MCWDYTYA Miserable Celebrity Who Do You Think You Are? :D :D

As sais they hardly ever cheer when a discovery is found and some said in a short intervie beforehand that why would theirselves or anyone want to trace my family tree as they are long dead. They need their brains examined. Genealogy is soooo addictive.

Ben

pejay

Valued Member
:) Hi yes I have to say I went off the programme a long time ago,they keep churning them out though, I think family history is big business and very expensive too you can wait ages for a cert until the interest has died down and the programme is 'past history'. I think they are still very popular with a lot of people, - but it is all made to look so easy with other people doing the bulk of the work for them!!

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Having lived in Ireland for nearly 5yrs, and only got Sky TV a few months ago. I am obviously 'catching up' with some of the few decent programmes that I have missed.
I can now see Julie's point so much clearer now, as I watch the newer WDYTYA and compare it with the older programmes.

I still like it though, and hold out for improvement with subject matter.

Steve.:)