• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Beamish Museum, Durham.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Me and my mum went there on Tuesday and it was fab. I actually got to experience what it was like for my coal miner ancestors in Durham as they have an old colliery which is part of the museum. Some miners had to go 5 miles underground.

Miners toiled away for 8 hours a day 6 days a week and they got paid for every tub of coal they filled up. In 1913 I think 1 full tub got you 3 shillings.

Also they have a replica of a 1913 town with a printers, dentists, pub, a sweet shop, grocery shop, tram station, posh hall, solicitors and a chemist. Plus a coach and horses station.

Edward

Valued Member
I haven't been to Beamish for years but I always used to enjoy it when I went.

I don't know how much it has changed in recent years I guess it is about 15 years since I was last there. I always enjoyed the home farm as well as the town and the colliery.

I went several times over the time I was living in the north east and saw it grow from a small exhibition in Beamish hall to having a diverse set of buildings across the museum site.

Ed

Littlemo

I went to the Beamish last month, and what a fantastic place it isO0. For
anyone interested in how life used to be this is the place to go. There is a
Masonic Hall in "The Town" and apparently it was taken down brick by brick
from where it stood in Sunderland and re-built brick by brick at The Beamish.
Last Sunday night, I watched a Catherine Cookson TV adaptation of "The
Fifteen Streets" on the Yesterday Chanel, and it was strange seeing the Tram
I had travelled on just a few weeks ago, and The Sun Inn which was transported from Bishop Aukland and dates back to 1860 and where I had a drink, there on the TV:eek:. I would recommend a day out there to anyone from the age of 2 to 92:) Fabulous.And to think that this marvellous place has
grown from the visionary thinking of one man Frank Atkinson. In 1958 he had just been appointed as Director of The Bowes Museum at Barnard Castle (Which is another place worth visiting) when he realised that the North East Region was changing dramatically and that the old industries of Coal Mining,
Iron and Steel Manufacturing and the Communities that served them were
fast disappearing. So in 1970, Frank and a small band of helpers set about
building a museum that would " illustrate vividly the way of life of the ordinary people". Eventually Politicians representing 8 local Authorities agreed to a joint
financial and management arrangement, and the result is now there for everyone to enjoy.
Littlemo

duckweed

Loyal Member
They keep adding to it as well, so if you haven't been for a while you are sure to find something new.

The Barnsley National Mining museum is great for anyone who can get there. They take you right down the shaft and then turn out the lights for a minute. I have never been anywhere that was so dark.

DeniseJD

It sounds really interesting and I'd like to go. Living 'down south' I'd have to organise a holiday to visit, I think, but that sounds a good idea to me! My great granddad and older sons were miners in 1913 in Durham, in Chopwell and they lived in the high street in Chopwell, in 4 rooms with a family of 6 left at home.

Best start saving my pennies for a holiday! :)

:):):)if you guys like beamish. give the historic quay in hartlepool a go , its a quay set in napoleonic times, there is the trincomalee ,a tall ship and the wingfeild castle a paddle steamer. all sorts of stuff, it has also been used for a lot of the catherine cookson films. very reasonably priced as well.

leefer

Loyal Member
:):):)if you guys like beamish. give the historic quay in hartlepool a go , its a quay set in napoleonic times, there is the trincomalee ,a tall ship and the wingfeild castle a paddle steamer. all sorts of stuff, it has also been used for a lot of the catherine cookson films. very reasonably priced as well.
Complete with hanging monkey Susan?:biggrin:

duckweed

Loyal Member
And of course there is Ironbridge Gorge, Blists Hill Victorian Museum which was used for the programme the Victorian Chemist. I've seen it turn up on some historical dramas too.

Littlemo

As far as prices are concerned, I thought Beamish was excellent value because you can buy a Years ticket for the same price as a day ticket just by spending 5 minutes filling in a form. The Adult was £16 OAP/Student £13
and Child £10. As you really need more than just 1 day to see everything, I thought this was great valueO0. I'm lucky in that my Daughter-in-Law is a Geordie and I go to stay with her parents who live in Newcastle, in fact some years ago my daughter-in-law worked at Beamish in the traditional costume.
And my Grandson is going to Beamish to see it at Christmastime which I'm sure will be special, he will probably get to ride the 116 year old Carousel-The
Steam Galloper which was added this Summer and still has all the original hand
carved wooden horses and Gavioli organ:). Plus there was a Coal Fired Fish and Chip Shop due to open in the Pit Village.

Littlemo