• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

BECKETT family

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Name: David Beckett
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1880
Event Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
District: 670
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): W
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Self
Birth Year (Estimated): 1845
Birthplace: Scotland
Father's Birthplace: Scotland
Mother's Birthplace: Scotland
Sheet Number and Letter: 388C
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T9
Affiliate Film Number: 1189
GS Film Number: 1255189
Digital Folder Number: 004244554
Image Number: 00780
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Self David Beckett M 35 Scotland
Son James Beckett M 12 At School Scotland
Son David Beckett M 5 Pennsylvania, United States
Son John Beckett M 2 Pennsylvania, United States
Daughter Sarah Beckett F 10 Scotland
Wife Ann Beckett F 35 Keeping House Scotland

Name: David Beckett
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1900
Event Place: District 2 Paterson city Ward 2, Passaic, New Jersey, United States
District: 113
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): W
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Number of Living Children:
Years Married: 33
Birth Date: Jun 1844
Birthplace: Scotland
Marriage Year (Estimated): 1867
Immigration Year: 1871
Father's Birthplace: Scotland
Mother's Birthplace: Scotland
Mother of how many children:
Sheet Number and Letter: 15A
Household ID: 348
Line Number: 38
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T623
GS Film Number: 1240991
Digital Folder Number: 004119927
Image Number: 00145
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head David Beckett M 56 Scotland
Wife Annie Beckett F 55 Scotland
Daughter Sarah Beckett F 31 Scotland
Son David Beckett M 25 Pennsylvania
Son John Beckett M 22 Pennsylvania
Son Thomas Beckett M 20 New Jersey
Son Robert Beckett M 17 New Jersey
Son Hugh Beckett M 11 New Jersey
Servant Lillie Lewis F 18 New Jersey

Looking for their arrival in USA and any further details eg. deaths.

Thanks,

Dave

Lirio100

There is a David Beckett is buried in Laurel Grove Memorial Park in Passaic County New Jersey. Find a Grave has the entry, along with a picture of the headstone, which has Annie's name along with several children inscribed on it. It appears it *might* be a good match for your David Beckett, going by the children on the 1900 census.

Philadelphia city directory for 1890 lists a David Becket as a weaver, home at 2742 Orkney. It seems he moved to Paterson in 1890 or so, because the city directory for 1890 to 1892 lists him as a warper, and in 1893 as in silk ribbons. Paterson had a silk industry going at the time.

I looked at the actual image for the 1900 census, and it appears that David and Ann didn't come together. His year of immigration is listed as 1871, while her date appears as 1873. I've taken a look but haven't seen anything yet.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lirio100,

Thank you very much for those details.

I have Ann in 1871 census in Scotland with children James and Sarah. David is not in that household. It looks as though he had left Scotland, perhaps for southern England, before the 1871 census.

Dave

Lirio100

Hello Lirio100,

Thank you very much for those details.

I have Ann in 1871 census in Scotland with children James and Sarah. David is not in that household. It looks as though he had left Scotland, perhaps for southern England, before the 1871 census.

Dave
I found Annie, James and Sarah in the passenger list for the Europa, leaving from Glasgow and arriving in New York on 15 July 1871. The ages fit the records you listed--James is 2 and Sarah is 10 months. They must have left right after the 1871 UK census! No David yet. They are listed as travelling "intermediate", not steerage.

I have found with my own family the year of immigration can be just a starting point, unfortunately!

One thing with looking for US records: *Sometimes* more information can be found by searching for the county on the web, ie "Passaic County NY genealogy". County records don't always make it to the bigger genealogy sites, that's how I found the directory information. One wild card search is google books, of all things. I found "Alstonefield Parish Records" that way! I tried that for Passaic county and found a book "Blue Book Textile Directory of the US and Canada" publ in 1901. There was a listing for "Beckett, David Silk Co. Inc 1896." David Beckett Sr. was the president. He manufactured silk ribbons, address of Hall Mill in Paterson NJ.

Lirio100

Annnndddd I found him, maybe, by adjusting the year. Dav Beckett was mistranscribed as Dar Beckett, and he came in 1870, not 1871.

Dav Beckett, 26, Scottish, came on the SS Iowa from Glasgow to New York, and arrived on 22 Apr 1870. He traveled steerage.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lirio100,

Thank you very much.

Their deaths if they could be found would be the only other detail I'd like to complete the branch.

A nephew Archibald and wife spent some time in America as well:

Arrived Glasgow 30 Aug 1925 on Anchor Line vessel 'California' from New York
Archibald Blackley age 64 Chef
Christina Blackley age 55
Address: 36 Ferguslie Paisley

Dave

Lirio100

The state of New Jersey is in the process of posting a death index for records 100 years old or older, but the index is only up to 1892. This information is off the headstone photo I mentioned before.

Front, left side:
David Beckett 1844-1901 Whoever is making the entry is also apparently adding information from the burial record. Place of birth is given as Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Robert Beckett 1883-1903
David Beckett Jr. 1875-1906

Front, right side:
Ann Beckett 1845-1908
Thomas Beckett 1880-1909
Robert E. Beckett 1904-1911
Louise E. Beckett 1880-1942

The 1910 census has a widowed Louise Beckett living in Paterson as a boarder, along with an eight year old Robert Beckett. This is most likely Thomas' wife and son.

Back, right side:

Ethel R. Beckett 1902-1902
John Beckett 1878-1919
John was living in Paterson in 1910, with wife Florence

Back left side:

Hugh Beckett 1889-1935
Sarah B. Eggerking 1869-1936

There is an entry for James Beckett d. July 1893 aged eight months and ?days, son of Robert and Emma, no photo of stone.

These are all in Laurel Grove Memorial Park in Passaic, New Jersey.

In Cedar Grove, also in Passaic, New Jersey there is an entry for Emma Beckett. The headstone reads "Mother" Emma Beckett died June 5, 1910.
Her Son James 1892-1893. It looks like when she died her infant might have been reburied with her in Cedar Grove, since 8 months in July would span 1892-1893.

James Beckett (born 1868, emg 1871, born in Scotland) was living in Paterson NJ with his wife Alice and daughter Ruth E. in 1910 and 1920. In 1930 a widowed Alice Beckett is living in Manhattan NYC with her daughter Ruth Verduin and son in law John Verduin, so James must have died between 1920 and 1930, although I can't find an entry for him.

In 1910 Sarah Beckett Eggerking is living with her husband William in Manhattan NYC, they've been married one year, can't find other entries for them.

Haven't found anything for Hugh after 1900.

Lirio100

Archibald and Christina Blackley came to the USA 1 Aug 1925 on the SS Cameronia into New York City. Their entries were marked "Transit" and "non-Img." Their son Thomas Blackley was given as person to notify in case of emergency.

I have been having a great deal of trouble working on two lines in my family--looking these up has been reassuring, for lack of a better word. At least some questions have answers!

Barbara

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Barbara.

I find it very patchy. Sometimes I wonder why a lot of info can be found on families way out on a limb of my tree and nothing much on those on the main line. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it depends how the question is asked and when. I used to think more and more stuff was finding its way on-line but I think it's balanced by other data vanishing. Sites I used a few years ago have now vanished along with their data.

Dave