• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

beginner advice - initials and dates confusing

HI all. New here
Getting confused especially with initials and birthdates in census records trying to collaborate

I have medals relating to my great grandfather and great great grandfather, Horace Burley and Thomas Burley respectively.

Horace Burley whose marriage certificate i just bought show he was in teh army so allowed my to check military records i obtained so i know he was born on the 21/10/1906

The census for 1911 doesn't show anyone in 1906 with his name but one in 1907. Unfortunately this is for a hospital (address East Sussex Hospital Rock) so nothing to back up his father Thomas. It does show place of birth as Brightling

I managed to search Brightling in the census and found a Thomas born in 1880 with the same job as on the wedding certificate (gamekeeper)i have so i assume this is him.

Going back further. On the 1901 census it has him as born in 1877 then in 1891 census back to 1880 with his fathers name as another Thomas born in 1846. Though looking him up on the 1881 census it has the record saying his son was Thomas K Burley. The wedding certificate has the name as Thomas Robert Burley. Can this be a mistake or have i got confused and its a coincidence they have the same job titles..

Thanks. hope this post makes sense!