• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

beginner advice - initials and dates confusing

HI all. New here
Getting confused especially with initials and birthdates in census records trying to collaborate

I have medals relating to my great grandfather and great great grandfather, Horace Burley and Thomas Burley respectively.

Horace Burley whose marriage certificate i just bought show he was in teh army so allowed my to check military records i obtained so i know he was born on the 21/10/1906

The census for 1911 doesn't show anyone in 1906 with his name but one in 1907. Unfortunately this is for a hospital (address East Sussex Hospital Rock) so nothing to back up his father Thomas. It does show place of birth as Brightling

I managed to search Brightling in the census and found a Thomas born in 1880 with the same job as on the wedding certificate (gamekeeper)i have so i assume this is him.

Going back further. On the 1901 census it has him as born in 1877 then in 1891 census back to 1880 with his fathers name as another Thomas born in 1846. Though looking him up on the 1881 census it has the record saying his son was Thomas K Burley. The wedding certificate has the name as Thomas Robert Burley. Can this be a mistake or have i got confused and its a coincidence they have the same job titles..

Thanks. hope this post makes sense!

Hi

welcome.

to the forum

Unfortunately this is a norm. As you look at more old records, you will realise why this is so. There are many reasons why records differ. bad handwriting, faded documents, illiteracy (very common), recording names as heard, strong dialects, word of mouth, and so on. If you are in doubt you should try to confirm details from original records, but these are not always correct either

good luck with your search
dave

Just to stir things a bit more, it would appear Thomas Robert was registered Oct/Dec quarter 1879 in East Grinstead reg district.

Horace was registered Dec quarter 1906 in Battle reg district

If I have the right person, his father married Louise Post in Jun/Aug qtr 1903 in Hailsham

info from freeBMD website

checking 1911 census Thomas 31 and Louise 32 with Hetty 6 are living in Brightling. They had been married 7 years and had 2 children, both alive. This ties in very well with the other info and that Horace was away at school/hospital

Thomas was born Lingfield. On 1901 census he was a single man, also born Lingfield, even though they give his birth as 1877.

Last edited:

Barns Lane, Lingfield, East Grinstead, Sussex, England

Thomas Burley Head Married Male 45 1846 Agricultural Labourer Lingfield, Surrey, England

Rosea Ann Burley Wife Married Female 44 1847 - West Hoathly, Sussex, England

Thomas Burley Son Single Male 11 1880 Scholar Lingfield, Surrey, England

William Burley Son Single Male 6 1885 Scholar Lingfield, Surrey, England

William Frick Lodger Widower Male 69 1822 Agricultural Labourer Romford, Essex, England

--------------------------------------------------

Marriages Jun 1872

BURLEY Thomas E. Grinstead 2b 195
Corke Rosa Ann E Grinstead 2b 195

Last edited:
looking in the 1881 census it has a Thomas burley with a son Thomas K Burley. Though I know his middle name was robert..

maybe a mistake. i have the original census image and looks like a K but could be a R.

confused about the 1879/1880 maybe they just wrote year down different?

At the census people were asked how old they were at their last birthday. They did not have to supply any documentation to prove their age. The person giving the info may have been guessing, there may have been so many children they may not have been sure. I certainly wouldn't worry too much if an age is up to 5 years out on a census return, if everything else is ok

dave

OK thanks :D
i mean the job title of gamekeeper is what i have the certificate for horaces father and that seems to match up with the thomas on the census. im guessing hte K & R middle initial thing is a mistake.