• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bell and Stobbs family in Durham

Maisy

I have the marriage details (not the certificate) of a couple who married in St. James, Gateshead, Durham on 9th August 1873. Their names are John Stobbs (22 years) and Mary Ann Bell (18 years). The details don't tell me the occupation of her father who is named as John Bell. I'm unable to go any further with the Bell family, her mother and siblings for instance, until I know for certain John Bell's occupation. Can anyone help me with this please? Thank you.

emeltee

Loyal Member
1861 Census
RG09/3799/F34/p18
23 Melbourne Street, Gateshead
John Bell 32 Blacksmith Durham
Mary A Bell wife 29 Dipton, Durham
Isabella Kirkley mother in law widow 69 Howden, Northumberland
Margaret A Kirkley stepdau 9 Gateshead
Mary A Bell dau 5 Gateshead

The original image for the Census gives Isabella's name as Kirkley but I think it should be Kirtley as per the following births and marriage

Margaret A Kirtley Mar 1852 Gateshead 10a 413 no mmn

Mary Ann Bell Sep 1855 Gateshead 10a 498 mmn Kirtley

John Bell/Mary Ann Kirtley Sep 1854 Gateshead 10a 587

Maisy

Help please. I've been looking at the 1881 census and this can't be the right family of Bell as shown in the 1861. Mary Ann Bell is shown as aged 24 still living with her parents but she was married by this time.

emeltee

Loyal Member
I went with the 1861 Census because it was the only one I could find which fitted the criteria of Mary Ann born 1855 with father John.

The only way to try and find her father's occupation is to purchase the marriage certificate
GRO Ref
Sep 1873 Gateshead 10a 1031

emeltee

Loyal Member
Have you found Mary Ann in any Census after her marriage to John Stobbs? I can find a couple of Mary Ann Bells born 1855 in the Durham area with a father called John. However I cannot find Mary Ann with husband John to confirm place of birth.

emeltee

Loyal Member
I found that one but unfortunately all the children have the mmn Atkinson and there is a marriage for a John Stobbs to a Mary Ann Atkinson in 1873 in Auckland.

Maisy

Thank you for looking again. The family are on the 1881 Census. John Stobs aged 29, Mary Ann aged 26 born Lanchester, Durham. Children Thomas aged 6 b. 1874, Annie aged 3 b. 1877 and Elizabeth aged 1month b. 1881. I believe they had emigrated by the time of the 1891 England Census and living in Illinois where they had more children.

They married in St. James, Gateshead on 9th August 1873. Mary Ann aged 18 father named John Bell.

Maisy

If it helps BMD births Dec quarter 1854 Durham - Mary Ann Bell,
births June quarter 1854 Gateshead - Mary Ann Bell
births Sept. quarter 1855 Gateshead - Mary Ann Bell

emeltee

Loyal Member
Just because they married in Gateshead it doesn't mean that Mary Ann was born there.

I have searched but am completely stumped. The marriage certificate is all you really have to go on.

Maisy

Yes, I do realise Mary Ann Bell may not have been born in Gateshead. My suggestions included 1854 Durham too. It might even be somewhere in else in Northumberland. Looks like I'll be purchasing the marriage certificate. Thank you for looking at this again. I do appreciate your time. Maisy.