• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Benjamin Charles Herbert Stray

ptjw7

From
England
I am trying to find a Canadian link to a Benjamin Charles Herbert Stray or Benjamin Herbert Stray.
Ancestry keeps offering be links to a B H Stray on the U.S., Index to Alien Arrivals at Canadian Atlantic and Pacific Seaports, 1904-1944
but I do not have access to that and not worth the expense for a possible link!
Benjamin Charles Herbert Stray married Edith Maude Murray in 1890 they are on the 1891 census but then Benjamin disappears and Edith shows up with a George Hinton and the 2 children are now shown as Hinton.
All in all a pot mess:confused:

Was Benjamins mothers maiden name Jennings and did he have a brother George Daniel?

Benj H Stray - age 36
Mrs BH Stray - age 30
Geo D Stray - age 34
County in British Isles which came from Surrey

You can view this with more detail on family search.
Wife‘s name is Vanda. Couldn’t find a marriage for Vanda and Benjamin in England.

There’s a piece in the Norwood News about Benjamin Herbert Stray a commercial traveller of 70,Vestry Road,Camberwell. I’m unable to view the article as credit is needed.

Following on from Julie's post, its all i could get with having previously used my 3 free searches. Probably the same place Julie found it.

Published: Saturday 16 April 1892
Newspaper: Norwood News
County: London, England
Type: Article | Words: 3231 | Page: 6 | Tags: none

At the Pesge Petty Saslow; on Tuesday, Benjamin Herbert Stray, described as a commercial traveller, of 70, Vestry-road, Camberwell, was summoned for being drunk and inoapable.—Defendant did not appear ...

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Index to Alien arrivals Canada - 1906
B H Stray 36
Mrs B H Stray 30
G D Stray 34
Arriving passengers has them from Surrey dept London & arrive 15 March 1906 Halifax Nova Scotia on vessel “Sarmatian”

1906 Census – Sub district 02 Strathcona Alberta
Ben H Stray 36 arrived 1906
Vanda wife 31 arrived same
& close by is Geo D Stray 36 arrived 1906 – shows him as married…

Homestead Grants
Alberta Canada Homestead records has a Vanda Huddestone legal representative of B H Stray (dec) in his support of his application for Homestead Patent for NH of 22 Sec, 49 Thp, 3 Rge N of 4 Meridian…..6 Oct 1910

There is a death for Ben Herbert Stray in 1908 Lloydwinster Alberta Canada – reg 971
regards Val

Back