• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Benjamin Hodkinson Cowburn

pettra

Can somebody please do me a census search for Benjamin Hodkinson Cowburn on the 1911 census, born in Leigh Lancashire in 1909, so he would have been either 1 or 2 years old.

Thank you.

emeltee

Loyal Member
It's on familysearch

Margaret Mary Cowburn wife crossed out and Head written above, age 30 born Westhoughton

Benjamin Hodkinson Cowburn age 2 born Leigh.

The address is 124 Manchester Road, Leigh.

Margaret Mary states thar she has been married 3 years and had 2 children, one died, one living.

Marriage
Albert Cowburn/Margaret Mary Hodkinson Mar 1908 Leigh 8c 378

Emeltee

pettra

It's on familysearch

Margaret Mary Cowburn wife crossed out and Head written above, age 30 born Westhoughton

Benjamin Hodkinson Cowburn age 2 born Leigh.

The address is 124 Manchester Road, Leigh.

Margaret Mary states thar she has been married 3 years and had 2 children, one died, one living.

Marriage
Albert Cowburn/Margaret Mary Hodkinson Mar 1908 Leigh 8c 378

Emeltee
Thank you for your quick reply and for the information. I am getting conflicting information from various sources. Find My Past has Benjamin being born in Leigh, Lancashire but BMD has him listed as Culcheth. Your info. says Albert Cowburn but I am getting Aaron Cowburn in Lancashire BMD.

On this census record is there no mention of the father? The family moved to France when Benjamin was around 9. I suppose though that he could have been residing outside the home when the census was taken. Any thoughts?

Pettra x

emeltee

Loyal Member
Culcheth was part of the Leigh Registration District from 1837 until 1933 which is probably why you are finding both places.

The only Cowburn/Margaret Mary marriage I coild find which fitted the criteria given in the 1911 Census of having been married 3 years was the one I gave you.

Birth - Benjamin Hodkinson Cowburn Jun 1909 Leigh 8c 279 mmn Hodkinson

Birth - Lily Cowburn Mar 1911 Leigh 8c 256 mmn Hodkinson
Death - Lily Cowburn Mar 1911 Leigh 8c 157 age 0

The only way to be certain of the name of the father would be to buy the birth certificate. I cannot find a baptism for Benjamin.

Finally I can't find an Albert or an Aaron Cowburn in 1911 who is married but not with his family. They are all either single or married with families.

Emeltee

pettra

Thank you again emeltee.

I got the marriage info. from Lancashire BMD and this is what it says:-

Surname : Cowburn Aaron
Surname : Hodkinson Mary
Place : St. George, Wigan
Register :-Wigan & Leigh
Ref : C30/6/18

Year of Marriage 1885

However, the name of the father is not as important to me as finding out that Benjamin was born in Leigh.

Thanks again for all your help...greatly appreciated.

emeltee

Loyal Member
That is the wrong marriage. In 1911 Margaret says she has been married for three years. Her age is given as 30 which gives a birth year of 1881 so she could not have married in 1885.

Margaret Mary Hodkinson Sep 1880 Bolton 8c 315 mmn Mangnall

Emeltee

pettra

Thank you so much (again) for you help and sorry for the confusion. Benjamin Hodkinson Cowburn was a famous Secret Agent during WW2, there are lots of information about him on the net apart from his beginnings. Stories just say born in Lancashire and nothing about parents...so I needed to get things right.

Everyone on Family History have always been really helpful to me and it is greatly appreciate. Leave it to the experts I say!