• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Benjamin Smith Harrogate

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me. My Gt Gt Grandfather William Smith was born in 1822 in Harrogate, the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Smith. I have been to the North Allerton RO and found the entry for his baptism as well as those for his siblings John 1813 Charles 1815 Mary 1820. The IGI also has Hannah 1824 and Benjamin 1829.

Father Benjamin is noted as being a gamekeeper (scriven) in 1813 and 1815. He's a labourer in 1820 and 1822 although when William married in 1844 he gave his father's occupation as Stonemason - trying to impress the in laws I think!

Basically I am trying to find Benjamin and Elizabeth's marriage and Benjamin's birth. They don't appear on any Censuses either. I did find an Elizabeth with daughter Hannah in 1841 and 1851. I even found a death for Elizabeth but when I sent for the certificate although the address matched the Censuses this particular Elizabeth was the widow of Henry Smith, a carter

Sorryto ramble on but can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Emeltee