• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

bermuda birth.

susanwillis59

Valued Member
if someone was born in bermuda but died in the uk, would i still have to get the certificate from bermuda, probs i have is , not sure if he had a uk or bermuda passport, lived in the uk until his death, unfortunatly know nothing about him and just drawing complete blanks at the moment.thanks suex

dochines

Valued Member
If he died in the UK in 2004 he will have a UK death certificate as he had lived here for a long time and may have been given British citizenship. If you have a date of death it is worth trying to find it. That would give you a last address/ place of death and the name of an informant whom you might be able to trace as it should give a name and address. then try the telephone directories for 2004 in the hope you could make contact with the informant for more information

best wishes

dochines

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Susan

I think this must be him
Harold Louis Virtue born 19 9 1926
died Jan Quarter 2004 in Liverpool aged 77

D36D district 025/1d entry 295

Married a Margaret Leary in 1961 in Bootle

1961 4Q Bootle 10b 1141

Take care

Dochines

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Sue,

This may also be worth looking into further

A J.L. Virtue is listed as a merchant seaman aged 17 messman on the Orion which arrived Liverpool on 26 6 1943 from Durban South Africa

see UK passenger Lists 1878-1960 Official no 164493

an Initial H could easily be mistranscribed as a J. The age fits nicely.

The records shows an address for him in Scotland 10 Charles St Greenock Refrew

If this is him it will well be worth the effort of going through the merchant seamans records held at the national archives. you should find medals for war service as well as details of ships served on etc. Sadly little of this is on line and means a longish search

I also noted a phone book entry for Liverpool in 1983-1984

H Virtue 4, St Mary's Grove Ford liverpool 051 938 2577

best wishes

Ken

susanwillis59

Valued Member
thanks guys,since i posted ive done a bit of digging . have found out that bermuda was a british colony so if you were born there you would be listed as british bermuda born. have found harold louis virtue b.1926 and some of his sea journeys, apparently he went to sea at 15, through the passenger lists and some pan am passenger lists i found his mother leila turini b.1902 st george bermuda and her husband harold virtue. still struggling to find any bmds on line or any relevent info on line a lot of the sites ive looked at are pretty bad. the harold in liverpool was the right one. he had a sister called june and a brother called harry?? but havnt found em yet. the search goes on just need a bit of luck methinks.suex

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Sue,

Leila gives her father as A D Turini on the passenger list. There is an Antonio Turini the New York passenger list for 1916 occ pilot last residence St. Georges Bermuda.