• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bessant of IOW

hi ,I am trying to help my aunt who is 90,she is seeking info on her father who was Ernest James Bessant born late 1800`s,in Cowes on the Isle of Wight,she feels Cross street,Cowes, rings a bell,also she feels his mother may have been French?but not sure.

Her memory is not too good,but sadly much better than mine I must say redf)I am also an OAP and sorry to say the day I received my OAP buss pass my memory seemed to fly out the window:eek:

She is not sure but thinks he married her mother Esther Jane Milburn around 1918,who lived in Leeds,we dont know how they met,but I feel sure she worked as a canary alongside my Gran,who used to make and pack ammunition and put little notes along side for the brave soldiers in WW1,and I believe thats how she met my Grandfather a WW1 Canadian expeditionary soldier,and as was Ernest Bessant also a WW1 soldier .

Anyway any help no matter how big or small would be so welcome,thank you

Lincoln Lad

This could be his birth
Jun 1896
Bessant, Ernest James, I. Wight, 2b 588.

If you send for the certificate it will have parents names and mothers maiden name on.

And his marriage.
Sep 1918
Bessant, Ernest J, Milburn, Leeds, 9b 800
Milburn, Esther J, Beasant, Leeds, 9b 800

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Could be the family in 1901

Civil parish Northwood
RD Isle of Wight
Sub RD Cowes

John Brading? Bessant head age 46 born Wellow IOW
Eliza Emma Bessant wife age 40 born Brading
Alfred John Bessant son age 14 bakers errand boy born Park Rd Cowes
------ Mary dau age 12 born Park Rd Cowes
Hilda May dau age 10 born Park Rd Cowes
Daisy Ellen dau age 8 born Park Rd Cowes
Ernest J Bessant son age 4 born Furgeyhurse? Northwood
Jack Bessant son age 2 born Furgeyhurse Northwood
Caroline E Bessant dau age 1 born Furgeyhurse Northwood
Anna E Fuller dau age 19 occ gen servant (domestic) born
Hester E Fuller dau age 16 occ laundress born Brading
Alfred W Fuller s/son age 13 milkmans errand boy born Brading
Alexander S Fuller s/son age 11 born Brading
Lillian Fuller s/dau age 8 born Parkhurst Hants

Marriage 1896

John Brading Bessant
Eliza Emma FUller

District Isle of wight
Jan/Feb/Mar 1/4
Vol 2b
Page 838

Marriage 1886

John Brading Bessant

Brides listed

Winifred Jane Edgar
Mary ann Tross

Oct/Nov/Dec 1/4
District Isle of Wight
Vol 2b
page 1172

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks like John married Mary Ann Tross

Civil parish Northwood
RD Isle of Wight
Sub RD Cowes

John B Bessant head age 36 occ bricklayer born Wellow
Mary A wife age 31 born Northwood
Alfred J son age 4 born West Cowes
Lilian M dau age 2 born Northwood
Hilda M dau age 1 born Northwood

A possible death for Mary Ann Bessant

Mary Ann Bessant
Born abt 1860
Oct/Nov/Dec 1/4
District Isle of wight
Vol 2b
Page 372

Last edited:
I would like to say thank you for the wonderful replies I have had,I have been on the phone to my aunt as she still lives in Leeds,and she is shocked at the information you have come up with,about her father and family,she says thank you.

I think I have got her hooked :eek: she wants to get herself a laptop,to learn more about family history,she is wonderful for me because she is able to remember and tell me lots of family history on my mothers family,as they both grew up in Leeds together ,but sadly my beloved mum passed away in 2003.

but thank you once again for all the super help,your both Angels:kissu:

Hello all ,sorry back again to ask a few more questions,my aunt said she had a half sister,lol well maybe a lot more :eek: as her dad was a erm................to be blunt a serial womaniser:eek: who used to bring his girlfriends and their /his children back home to his wife`s home,(no disrespect here to my aunts father it was common knowledge in the family)

One of her half sisters was I think Marjorie Lilian Fuller Bessant born 1911 Cowes,I found that on IOW BMD ,my aunt used to call her Lilian Bowles and her mother was Joyce Bowles from the Isle of Wight.

He also had 4 children (he was a very busy man)with an Australian lady called Lilian Dunham,but my aunt doesnt know if they had his name or not.

Also the names Jolliffe and Fuller have come up,they dont ring a bell to my aunt but seem to be connected to the IOW and her father.

So sorry Julie jtp,I have just reread your post,and could Lillian Fuller age 8 in 1901,be the mother of Marjorie Lillian Fuller Bessant born 1911?

This it seems would relate her to my aunts father and to Marjorie?did Ernest have a child with a relative?and what relative was he ,(but with my senile dementure in overdrive at the mo,I did warn you about it,I cant work out who is who?

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

Theres a marriage in 1926 between Alice M M Bessant and Harry W Jolliffee, district Isle of Wight, Jan/Feb/Mar 1/4. Does this a bell? There are quite few Jolliffes in the IOW. Alice Maude M Bessant birth registration 1906 IOW. Alice is showing on the 1911 census index, this is pay per view which costs 10 credits for a househould transcript or 30 credits to view the census, this can be found on the findmypast site.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks Juliejtp,
Sorry the Alice Bessant and Harry Jolliffe dont ring any bells,but thank you so much for looking for me.

When I spoke to my aunt earliar she said she was going to go and price a laptop on Tuesday,she is really amazed at what can be found on the net,and I think she has the bug now,She is worried she is too old but I told her no way,she is super for her years,and has a wonderful memory.

I will take a look at the Find my past site,thanks for that,also thank you so much for your help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Help for Names or Surnames 0