• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

best software to use

I am looking to purchase some genealogy software. i am looking for something that is reasonably advanced though reasonably easy to use. I have been using ancestry website for some time but feel constrained on reporting. although value is important I would want to get a program that is more suited to my needs.

Any advice would be appreciated

I tried both of these. I preferred using roots magic, but as I have subscribed to ancestry this package is probably not the one for me. Has anyone any advice on family tree maker as this hasn't got a free version

Thanks to both of you for your advice, it's appreciated

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I have used FTM for some 5 years now and are reasonable pleased with it but it still has some niggles in that it crashes sometimes but I have put that down to the fact that my tree is now very large!
The bit I like is that it links to Ancestry and gives links to possible matches(sometimes too many) but any help is always welcome.

Peter