• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Best way to record and save family tree?

PattiW

I've built my family tree on Ancestry.co.uk and most of my source documents are digitial and saved on the site. When I had my original subscription in 2009 I also had the software Family Tree Maker 2009. I haven't been very successful in using this.

At the moment I have a subscription until October so I'm doing as much research as I can. I am concerned that I won't be able to see all the digital sources when my subscription runs out. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If so, what would be the best way to go about recording and saving everything so that I can always refer back to it?

Thanks.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Best way is to download the images of the information and store it on your PC.
You then have to find a back up system for the files.
I use a couple of pen drives and also write the data to a dvd once a year, very tedious but once you get used to it, its simple.

PLEASE do make back ups! Ive lost count of the number of times data has gone missing with a dead hard disk!

Peter

Last edited: