• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bethnal Green Slaters

josie7644

Valued Member
Great work and lots fits but...

...how do we reconcile father as Charles?

I tried to match these couples in 1881 and couldn't:

Marriages Mar 1876
Chapell Elizabeth Wandsworth 1d 649
Resels Peter Martin Wandsworth 1d 649
SLATER Mary Ann Wandsworth 1d 649
SLATER William Thomas Wandsworth 1d 649
Well spotted Dave! :biggrin:

Finally, I have found the Slater marriage!

On 11th March 1876, at St Philip’s Church Battersea, William Thomas Slater, bachelor, 28 married Mary Ann Slater, spinster aged 27.

Mary Ann’s address was 33 Princess Street, Burton-on-Trent and her father was Thomas Slater a grocer.

So this one can be eliminated! ;)

Josie

josie7644

Valued Member
Thanks Josie.

So the missing piece is the death of Charles.
Hello,

No luck as yet in finding the death of Charles!

I also looked for the family in 1891 without success!

Looking at an old map of London, Old Ford Road (their address in 1901) is shown just off Bethnal Green Road on the right hand side...

http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/London 1846/Page 5.html

On the old maps site

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

I found Seabright Street and Viaduct Street running parallel, with King Street joining them. All are just south of Bethnal Green Road.

The point I am making is that they didn’t move very far away, so the family must be around the same area in 1891!

Here’s hoping...

Josie :rolleyes:

rgu994

So many mysteries solved - than you.

Ellen Slater nee Foss born 1882 Bow London - is there anything about her family in census?

I am assuming that as weavers, married weavers that her family are of the same ilk.

Thank you
Barbara

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Births Sep 1880
FOSS Ellen Bethnal Green 1c 210

The 1881 census was held on 7 April but I can't see Ellen in 1881.

I can only see Ellen Eliza FOSS born Dorset and Eleanor FOSS born Deptford, Kent.

There are four FOSS marriages in Bethnal Green 1870 - 1880.

Did any of Ellen's children have a middle name that looked as if it was a grandparent's family name? Walton or Hopkins? Shepherd or Cox? Gerken or Tayler? Aicke or Padner?

So far I can't find any of them in 1881. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
One couple I've not found in 1881 yet:

Marriages Sep 1877
Foss Anthony Patten Bethnal Green 1c 505
Hopkins Elizabeth Susannah Bethnal Green 1c 505

I have not been able to match the other 6 couples or find any of them in 1881.

Last edited:

rgu994

Josie gave marriage date as:-

3rd quarter 1905 Hackney: Ellen Foss to Arthur Slater

Their 2 children's names include Arthur Walter b c.1905 and Aubrey Laurence b 1910 from the 1911 Census - 1882 birth date seems right for Ellen, based on 1911 census where she was aged 29 and married 5 years.

Thanks Barbara

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Barbara but I was searching for possible marriages of Ellen's parents.

There is no birth in 1882 or 1883 anywhere in England for a Ellen FOSS so I think the Sep Q 1880 one in Bethnal Green must be the one.

There is nothing in the middle names of the children that helps.

Sorry, but I'm stuck. Can't match the other couples and can't find any of the others in 1881, even allowing for the husband to be born in Germany and the names as FOSSE.

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello,

Although the given name is Eleanor L, here is a possibility for Ellen in 1881....

RG11/707/102/23

Address: 12 Cornbury Road, St Paul Deptford.

Her father is William P aged 40 and her mother Mary Ann, aged 39.

Interestingly, Eleanor L, aged 0 has a brother called Walter, but of course, this isn’t proof!

There is a birth registered in Q1 of 1881, in Greenwich of Eleanor Lucy Foss.

If only the details of the 1905 marriage could be found! That would help to confirm or eliminate this young lady! :D

It's walkies time now! :2fun:

Josie

rgu994

Thanks Josie - the wedding cert for Aubrey has Ellen née Foss as mother hence that was the start for my research. So I'm not sure if it could be Eleanor - but who knows with what can come up ; ie water meaning slater. I believe all the weavers married, intermarried - and I appreciated the link to Bethany Green's old maps - the silk weavers, old and new had a difficult life.

Barbara

rgu994

New information to hand:

Mary [Ann] Mears mother's maiden name was Mary Ann Grimmo sometimes spelt Grimmoy; dob for Mary is 5 Sep 1838.

I hope this can source new information and whether Grimmo/Grimmoy is a Hugoenot derivative.

Thank you all again, for your help to date.
Barbara

rgu994

Thanks Josie.

So the missing piece is the death of Charles.
Death of Charles Robert Slater 1899 at Kings N. aged 66; this works for Charles Robert Slater B. 7 May 1832 at Mile end Old Town London. Query: could he have been a soldier between 1866 and 1873?

I have also been given, without any reference: marriage 1905 Sept BGreen Mary Ann Slater to Walter William P. Nipress or Walter Henry Bovington.

I hope this isn;t all too confusing.

Barbara

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello Barbara,

No wonder we couldn’t find the death of Charles, as we were searching prior to 1897!

Yes I suppose it's possible he was in the army, as there seems to be no trace of him in the census returns!

Here are the details of the Slater/Bovington marriage:-

On 5 Aug 1905, Walter Henry Bovington, 21, bachelor married Mary Ann Slater, 23 spinster, at St Jude’s Bethnal Green.

Mary Ann’s address was 68 Sorrell Street, her father was Robert, whose occupation was machinery ? (can’t read the word) machine fitter.

All the best,

Josie :)

rgu994

It has been some time but I have tracked down Charles Robert Slater. Such a nice feeling to solve a mystery.

He went to the USA because of a slump in the packing case manufacturing in England. I have no time line for this. Mary Ann Mears then took up with his brother James Slater to whom she had Arthur, Alfred and Amy, no record of marriage.

Mary Ann Mears received a Huguenots Pension. Is there a register for this?

Mary's mother's name was Mary LeBlanc; Father was George Mears, which matches the Census information. Can anyone help with LeBlanc - weavers in Bethnal Green? I'm assuming that they may also be Huguenots.

Barb

Hello Barbara,

No wonder we couldn’t find the death of Charles, as we were searching prior to 1897!

Yes I suppose it's possible he was in the army, as there seems to be no trace of him in the census returns!

Here are the details of the Slater/Bovington marriage:-

On 5 Aug 1905, Walter Henry Bovington, 21, bachelor married Mary Ann Slater, 23 spinster, at St Jude’s Bethnal Green.

Mary Ann’s address was 68 Sorrell Street, her father was Robert, whose occupation was machinery ? (can’t read the word) machine fitter.

All the best,

Josie :)
Hi there. I realise I'm a few years late to this thread but just looking into an old family photo I found.
It's from late 1800s and I've figured out it's of a pub, owned by a Robert slater, in 116 lefevre Road. I can confirm the slaters did marry into Bovington - it's my nans maiden name!
Not sure if anyone is going to see this but thank you. I'm spurred on to find out more :)