• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bigamy Court Cases - Help please!

Hi...new to the site but wondered if anyone has any info on how to track a Bigamy court case around 1918.

Edith Mason worked at Didsbury War Hospital, Manchester and married a soldier (name not known). The case did go to court and he was given a 3 year prison sentance...

How can I find the court record? Where should I look?!

Thanks

jay

Valued Member
Do you know where the court case was held? You could see if the Old bailey has records or try The National Archives. There might be an account of the trial in the British Newspaper Archives which are online.

Good luck.:D

gibbo

Loyal Member
Is Mason her maiden name or married name? His name might be needed to find anything as any articles/ records may be under his name since he was the one charged.

If his name can be found military records might be able to be found which may give some information as well.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Had a look at the newspaper archives and found some for Manchester but no name of the soldiers is given and the longest sentance found was for 18 months and that was for the second bigamy offence

Peter

Last edited:

dochines

Valued Member
Hi I had a look at the manchester local newspapers. unfortunately at present they are only available on line until 1916. you need to search a few years after this. at present it means a trip to Colindale to the newspaper library, but keep checking back as more are added each day

There are something like 60 references in 6 years involving soldiers and bigamy. Most mention both wives so I am sure the papers will be your best help. These stories made fascinating reading. The WW1 had a lot to answer for
good luck with it
dochines

gibbo

Loyal Member
3 years does seem like a long sentence. My grandmother's first husband did a runner [1942] and married someone else whilst still married to her. He got caught and got 6 months jail.

Can i ask where you got the info from concerning his bigamy etc? Just if its "talk" that has been passed down the generations sometimes the information can have changed as its passed down.

Hi everyone -

Thank so much for all your help.

Have sent for the marriage certificate for Arthur Goddard and Edith Mason...even at this stage we don't want to blame the wrong chap!!

Some great leads, cheers all!