• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bigamy

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
This is one bad dude. Would any one anyone have any thing in England on Enoch Kinesla Alias Kinslaugh and Murphy,He was sent out here [ozland] for bigamy, First he married a Mary Bonamy-Moullin from Guernsey as Kinsela then married Eleanor Lutwyche 1804 as Murphy at Worcester, then his first wife complained [i wonder why?] and off he went to the slammer in ozzie, he then has the audacity to shack up with but not marry Mary Adams a fellow convict from Ireland.

Enoch & Mary}are one of my many great grand parents and i would like to get some info on poor old Enoch.

Enoch Fathers name was Thomas Kinsela from County Carlow Ireland

It appears He died in service while working? for the Gov't out here He fiddled the till selling the Gov'ts salt behind their back and they didn't like it, I don't know why.

Oz Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

gibbo

Loyal Member
He was sent here on the vessel "fortune" in 1806. He got 7 years.
You can buy a copy of his convict record from the NSW archives and it may have some info in it regarding him in England. Could make interesting reading actually.

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
He was sent here on the vessel "fortune" in 1806. He got 7 years.
You can buy a copy of his convict record from the NSW archives and it may have some info in it regarding him in England. Could make interesting reading actually.
That was fast.Is there any info on his father and the Irish or English side of it all.

Oz Steve.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
If i had the right fella he is listed under KINSELA with Alias Kinnhaugh and Murphy. This is all the info there is on the indexes for him. I will check some other sites out and see if there is anything more on his history.

KINNHAUGH Enoch Certificate of Emancipation [4/4427; COD18, Reel 601 page 324] Alias Kinsela; alias Murphy

KINSELA Enoch Certificate of Emancipation [4/4427; COD18, Reel 601 page 324] Alias Kinnhaugh; alias Murphy

KINSELA Enoch Ticket of Leave [4/4427; COD18, Reel 601 page 425]

KINSELEA Enoch Fortune 1806 11/136 Ticket of Leave [4/4427; Reel 601 p.425] Tried: Worcs 7yr

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
If i had the right fella he is listed under KINSELA with Alias Kinnhaugh and Murphy. This is all the info there is on the indexes for him. I will check some other sites out and see if there is anything more on his history.

KINNHAUGH Enoch Certificate of Emancipation [4/4427; COD18, Reel 601 page 324] Alias Kinsela; alias Murphy

KINSELA Enoch Certificate of Emancipation [4/4427; COD18, Reel 601 page 324] Alias Kinnhaugh; alias Murphy

KINSELA Enoch Ticket of Leave [4/4427; COD18, Reel 601 page 425]

KINSELEA Enoch Fortune 1806 11/136 Ticket of Leave [4/4427; Reel 601 p.425] Tried: Worcs 7yr
With all those names it couldn't be anyone else.

Thanks Gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Well he wasnt a boring fella to say the least.:2fun: :2fun: Looks like he was actually the Manager of the salt works:confused: been a convict would he have been??:confused: maybe not your fella:confused: .. yeah got sidetracked more newspapers :rolleyes: but i found this.

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser
Sunday 1 February 1807

Notice is hereby given, that from the date hereof all Persons are forbid going near the Government Salt Pans in Rose Bay,or any Person or Persons coming there by water or landing near the said Premises, unless with an order signed by His EXCELLENCY and addressed to E. Kinsela, the Manager of the Salt Works), shall be
taken into custody and Imprisoned in the County
Goal.
And all persons coming to the said Salt Pans with Orders, are severely prohibited from entering the Salt House ; unless by per-
mission and in the presence of the said E. Kin-
sela. By Command of His Excellency, E. GRIFFIN, Sec.
Government House, Sydney,

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Well he wasnt a boring fella to say the least.:2fun: :2fun: Looks like he was actually the Manager of the salt works:confused: been a convict would he have been??:confused: maybe not your fella:confused: .. yeah got sidetracked more newspapers :rolleyes: but i found this.

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser
Sunday 1 February 1807

Notice is hereby given, that from the date hereof all Persons are forbid going near the Government Salt Pans in Rose Bay,or any Person or Persons coming there by water or landing near the said Premises, unless with an order signed by His EXCELLENCY and addressed to E. Kinsela, the Manager of the Salt Works), shall be
taken into custody and Imprisoned in the County
Goal.
And all persons coming to the said Salt Pans with Orders, are severely prohibited from entering the Salt House ; unless by per-
mission and in the presence of the said E. Kin-
sela. By Command of His Excellency, E. GRIFFIN, Sec.
Government House, Sydney,
That's him orright, No wonder I turned out the way i did,with an great grandfather like that,it seems he couldn't be trusted.and with all that bad blood in me i now Know why i'm like i am.

Oz Steve

gibbo

Loyal Member
Charles KINSELA, was born 31st July 1814, and baptised 28th August 1814 at Sydney St Phillip's Church. He was registered as Charles ADAMS, son of Enoch KINSELA and Mary ADAMS. Enoch KINSELA was sent to New South Wales in 1806, per ship Fortune, on a charge of Bigamy. He was an educated man and soon after his arrival, was made manager of the Government Salt Pans. He later set up business ventures for himself with some success. He formed an association with Mary ADAMS (Per William Pitt, 1806) and Mary bore him three children, the third being Charles who was born 1 month and 10 days after his father's death (21st June 1814). Enoch's previous experiences had obviously put him off the idea of marriage, although the quasi-official attitude was that transportation rendered void any current marriage

gibbo

Loyal Member
Ok oz steve,
Found this on the national archives of the uk and here is the link also.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Sounds like his record in the Uk would make real interesting reading:2fun: :2fun:

Scope and content Report of Soulden Lawrence, on 1 individual petition (Abraham Robarts, MP for Worcester) and 1 collective petition (72 people, from the City of Worcester) on behalf of JOHN ENOCH MURPHY alias Enoch Kinsela or Enoch Kinselaugh, convicted at the Worcestershire Spring Assizes held at Worcester for bigamy, by marrying Eleanor Lutwyche (prosecutrix) on 18 August 1804 whilst still married to Mary Bonamy Moullin whom he married in St. Peterport, Guernsey on 7 January 1799. There is a covering letter to the report from Lawrence. The notes of the trial include details of other family members, residences and the trades the prisoner had on the island of Guernsey. The prisoner was banished from Guernsey for 6 years in December 1803. Evidences supplied by Nicholas Moullin, brother of Mary Moullin; John Dumaresque, uncle of Mary Moullin; John George, brother-in-law of Eleanor Lutwyche; John Baker, Margaret Woodgate, John George, John Cobley, attorney's clerk; Elizabeth George, sister of Eleanor Lutwyche; William Davis, gaoler and Eleanor Lutwyche, There are certificates of good conduct for the prisoner from William Faulkner, Chaplain for Worcester Gaol and John Rayment, Surgeon to Worcester Gaol and a letter from William Davis, Governor of Worcester Gaol, stating that the prisoner was industriously employed in teaching other prisoners to read whilst he was confined and that one of the prisoner's wives [name not given] has remarried and the new husband knows of her circumstances. Grounds for clemency: he had served 6 months in prison before the trial, has behaved well while in prison, is able and willing to join the crew of HMS Canada, Captain Hardy is willing to take the convict on board and his 'wife' has subsequently 'remarried'. Initial sentence: 7 years transportation. Recommendation: no mercy. 'It is difficult to suppose, that he [the prisoner] could be known to the respectable persons, who have signed the recommendation in his behalf'. Folios. 252-264.

Covering dates 1805 Nov 12
Held by The National Archives, Kew

Legal status Public Record(s)

Last edited:

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Ok oz steve,
Found this on the national archives of the uk and here is the link also.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Sounds like his record in the Uk would make real interesting reading:2fun: :2fun:

Scope and content Report of Soulden Lawrence, on 1 individual petition (Abraham Robarts, MP for Worcester) and 1 collective petition (72 people, from the City of Worcester) on behalf of JOHN ENOCH MURPHY alias Enoch Kinsela or Enoch Kinselaugh, convicted at the Worcestershire Spring Assizes held at Worcester for bigamy, by marrying Eleanor Lutwyche (prosecutrix) on 18 August 1804 whilst still married to Mary Bonamy Moullin whom he married in St. Peterport, Guernsey on 7 January 1799. There is a covering letter to the report from Lawrence. The notes of the trial include details of other family members, residences and the trades the prisoner had on the island of Guernsey. The prisoner was banished from Guernsey for 6 years in December 1803. Evidences supplied by Nicholas Moullin, brother of Mary Moullin; John Dumaresque, uncle of Mary Moullin; John George, brother-in-law of Eleanor Lutwyche; John Baker, Margaret Woodgate, John George, John Cobley, attorney's clerk; Elizabeth George, sister of Eleanor Lutwyche; William Davis, gaoler and Eleanor Lutwyche, There are certificates of good conduct for the prisoner from William Faulkner, Chaplain for Worcester Gaol and John Rayment, Surgeon to Worcester Gaol and a letter from William Davis, Governor of Worcester Gaol, stating that the prisoner was industriously employed in teaching other prisoners to read whilst he was confined and that one of the prisoner's wives [name not given] has remarried and the new husband knows of her circumstances. Grounds for clemency: he had served 6 months in prison before the trial, has behaved well while in prison, is able and willing to join the crew of HMS Canada, Captain Hardy is willing to take the convict on board and his 'wife' has subsequently 'remarried'. Initial sentence: 7 years transportation. Recommendation: no mercy. 'It is difficult to suppose, that he [the prisoner] could be known to the respectable persons, who have signed the recommendation in his behalf'. Folios. 252-264.

Covering dates 1805 Nov 12
Held by The National Archives, Kew

Legal status Public Record(s)
Gibbo, I'm sure you have the right man, sounds like real character,a man after my own heart,any luck with Mary Adams and her Irish record & parentage,why she was sent here, even though Enoch and Mary were'nt married they were still my great ancestors and i would like to find more out on them.

Oz Steve

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Charles KINSELA, was born 31st July 1814, and baptised 28th August 1814 at Sydney St Phillip's Church. He was registered as Charles ADAMS, son of Enoch KINSELA and Mary ADAMS. Enoch KINSELA was sent to New South Wales in 1806, per ship Fortune, on a charge of Bigamy. He was an educated man and soon after his arrival, was made manager of the Government Salt Pans. He later set up business ventures for himself with some success. He formed an association with Mary ADAMS (Per William Pitt, 1806) and Mary bore him three children, the third being Charles who was born 1 month and 10 days after his father's death (21st June 1814). Enoch's previous experiences had obviously put him off the idea of marriage, although the quasi-official attitude was that transportation rendered void any current marriage
I wonder how, and the circumstances of Enoch getting that education, He must have come from a well to do family..old Family gossip says that in the end he diddled the Gov'ment for their salt

Oz Steve.

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
On #8 post on here it says she come on the William Pitt in 1806.
She is the first one so cant miss her. If the link doesnt work just yell out.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/confem33.html

Will see if i can find out anymore on here.

gibbo
gibbo, i was unable to open the link.I did notice that there was only 1 male convict with all those women,i bet there was some hankypanky going on and only one poor guy to cope with all those poor ladies.

Oz Steve

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
William Pitt - Arrived 11 April 1806.
Sailed 31/8/1805 from Cork in 223 days.
Embarked 1 male and 120 females

SURNAME Adams
CHRISTIAN NAME Mary
TRIAL PLACE Portsmouth
DAY 6 MONTH 10 YEAR 1803
DEPARTED England

gibbo

Loyal Member
On the 5th June 1815, Mary ADAMS and William TRISTRAM, Stonemason were married at St Phillip's Church Sydney. William later became the gaoler at Liverpool.

Marriage
Ref number V18151777 3A/1815
Groom TRISTRAM William
Bride ADAMS Mary
District CA

Death
Ref number 3951/1862
Tristram Mary
Aged 80 years
Died Liverpool

There are no parents listed for Mary on the indexes.

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
William Pitt - Arrived 11 April 1806.
Sailed 31/8/1805 from Cork in 223 days.
Embarked 1 male and 120 females

SURNAME Adams
CHRISTIAN NAME Mary
TRIAL PLACE Portsmouth
DAY 6 MONTH 10 YEAR 1803
DEPARTED England
Thank you gibbo, as a child my father took me to Liverpool shopping centre
and they had Mary's & Tristram's headstones on display in the Centre,They were removed from the cemetery to either make way for a new road or shopping Centre, i cant remember which as that was about 50 years ago.

Oz Steve

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thank you gibbo, as a child my father took me to Liverpool shopping centre
and they had Mary's & Tristram's headstones on display in the Centre,They were removed from the cemetery to either make way for a new road or shopping Centre, i cant remember which as that was about 50 years ago.

Oz Steve
Maybe if you ordered the marriage cert. if may have Mary's parents on there, well if your real lucky it might. Not sure what the marriage records were like back that far but could be worth a go.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Yep and again more newspapers:rolleyes:

The Sydney Morning Herald
Saturday 20 September 1862

TRISTRAM-August 18th, at her late residence, George-street,
Liverpool, Mrs. Mary Tristram, mother of Mr. Charles Kinsela, undertaker, Sussex-street, in the 81st year of her age ; also, at the residence of Mr. C Kinsela, Sussex-street, on the 7th September, Mr. William Tristram, in the 85th year of his age.