• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

binns marriage

Looking for the marriage of john binns. He was born in halifax west yorkshire in approx. 1785.By 1805 he had joined the shropshire 53rd regiment of foot. They set sail for india in that year. His wife Mary went with him,and they had 3 children in India.I got their baptism certificates but no mothers surname on. I have been searching for their marriage but can find no record of it in Halifax or India. I am now wondering if he married in Shropshire ,maybe Shrewsbury. Would it be possible for someone to check parish records for me. Been looking for this info a long time.
Thanks

Just found some more info about John Binns. He probably joined the shropshire 53rd in Halifax in Jan 1804,while they were stationed there. From there they went to carlisle,where the military chapel was st Marys Church,another possible marriage venue. From there they went to canterbury then portsmouth. They set sail for india in April 1805.

ral91

Valued Member
Hi,

Just searching for a marriage, and this came up on the free BMD:

John Binns
Estimated birth year: abt 1786
Year of Registration: 1867
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 81
District: Halifax
County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
Volume: 9a
Page: 251

This is his death, well it certainly looks like him. I'll post a marriage if I find one.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,looks like that could be him. Just found some more info about John Binns. He probably joined the shropshire 53rd in Halifax in Jan 1804,while they were stationed there. From there they went to carlisle,where the military chapel was st Marys Church,a possible marriage venue. From there they went to canterbury then portsmouth. They set sail for india in April 1805.

Trevor

Last edited:

dochines

Valued Member
A quick search for you for a John Binns marrying a Mary before april 1805 produced the following possibilities using the new family search. org

1 Mary Snowden married 25/12/ 1804 Calverley WR yorkshire

2. Mary Snawden married 28 4 1803 Kildwick Yorkshire

3 Mary Jubb married 19/11/ 1809 Halifax ( too late to have been married before departure with Army but is in Halifax)

I just hope one of the children has one or other of these surnames as a second christian name!

The problem is also that couples tended to marry in the bride's home community rather than the groom's

hope that is helpful

dochines

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Trevor,

Dochines is right in saying couples often married in the bride's home parish. I've had a lot of family do this.

Is it possible that they married before John enlisted and went on to Carlisle? Or is there something that suggests they did so before moving about?

Ryan

I have checked all parish records in Halifax and no sign of the marriage there . He had 2 sons in India,Robert born 1808 and John born 1812. I also found a daughter born 1811 and died 1811. The mystery about that one,is the mother is down as Catherine,but it is the same father ,John Binns of HM 53rd. Hes a real mystery.
Thanks for looking for that information.
Trevor