• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Birth and Christening Same Day?

I have found a number of entries (IGI) where the birth and christening are given as the same date. For example:

John Lake.
Birth, 18 June 1697. Christening, 18 June 1697.
Saint Olave, Southwark, London.

John Leak
Birth, 11 September 1700. Christening, 11 September 1700.
Saint Olave, Southwark, London.

Should I suspect the entry for birth as incorrect or was it normal practice at that time to Christen on the day of birth? I have only heard of that happening when it seemed unlikely the baby would live.
Thanks for any suggestions.

In that era babies died frequently in the first few days. Its more than likely the child was baptised the same day if it looked at all frail. After all an unbaptised baby would not go to heaven and certainly not buried in consecrated ground.

Website
www.duncanbourne.co.uk
I think it depends on the families circumstances. The availibility of a priest, travel to a church and disposition of the child. If the baby was perhaps sickly or not expected to live then a swift christening might take place (even if the child subsequently survived) where as if there wasn't a regular parish priest handy (say the family lived out in the sticks) and the child seemed robust then a christening might take place months later.

sterico

Loyal Member
Yes, if a child was frail or sick , it was very common to have the child christened as soon after the birth as possible , this still is possible today and does happen .
Regards Sterico

It is not only in earlier times that midwifes could baptise a child if it was feeble. Even in the 1970s when I was a nurse we were given instructions about baptising roman catholic babies if we could not get a priest there in time.