• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Birth cert mother different to other sources?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 3xgreat grandfather Thomas Roberts married Esther Carroll in 1848 in Ireland when he was in the 17th Lancers. They had 3 children, Ann born in 1851, Frances born in 1853 and Frederick born in 1860.

The birth certs of the first two are correct and name the correct parents. The baptisms of all 3 name Thomas and Esther Roberts as the parents. Thomas left the 17th Lancers in 1856 and moved to Brighton. In 1861 Thomas Roberts is at 16 West Hill Street, Brighton aged 47 a servant and Chelsea Pensioner with wife Esther aged 43 born Ireland and daughter Ann aged 9. Frederick Goodacre Roberts died as a baby in March 1861.

He was born in February 1860 at 16 West Hill Street son of Thomas Roberts a servant and footman. Baptised in June 1860 son f Thomas and Esther Roberts. But his birth certificate says:-

Frederick Roberts, born 16 West Hill Street, Brighton son of Thomas Roberts, a servant and footman, and Ellen Roberts formerly Bridgeman. Huh Huh Huh I did ring the local RO and they said the original says Ellen Bridgeman. Thomas was the informant.

I cannot find any trace whatsoever of an Ellen Bridgeman anywhere so could this be down to human error?

Esther Roberts died in November 1863 of phthisis years certified.

Ben