• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Birth in Ireland?

Maisy

Can anyone tell me please if there is a BMD for Ireland and Northern Ireland? I'm looking for the births of two brothers Michael Brelsford in 1946 and James F. in 1953. There may also have been another child named Glynis, but I don't know her birth date. Their mother was named Edith. I've searched freebmd but found nothing. I know that the boys parents travelled between England and South Africa before eventually settling in Canada. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Elwyn

There’s no-one named Brelsford anywhere in Ireland in the 1911 census and just one in 1901. She was born in Guernsey:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballynahinch/Ballymacarn_South/1224537/

2 Brelsford marriages in the GRONI marriage indexes up to June 1945. Hannah Brelsford married William England 13.7.1940, Castlereagh (outside Belfast) and another Hannah married William Smythe 10.12.1941 in Belfast.

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

No sign of a male Brelsford marrying anyone named Edith up to June 1945. If it was after that it won’t be on-line yet.

Births for all of Ireland up to 1920 can be found on the irishgenealogy board:

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Births within the past 100 years are not available on-line. They are accessible but there are restrictions on how you can access them. Those for the Republic of Ireland can be obtained via GRO Roscommon:

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

Those for Northern Ireland can be obtained via GRONI, using the link given earlier. You need to phone or e-mail them.

Marriages up to 31.12.1921 for all of Ireland are on the irishgenealogy link. Marriages for the Republic of Ireland 1922 – 1945 are also on that link. Marriages for Northern Ireland 1922 – 1945 are on the GRONI link. For marriages within the past 75 years, you need to contact GRO Roscommon for the Republic and GRONI for Northern Ireland.

Just 3 Brelsford deaths in Ireland 1864 to 1921. All in or near Belfast, so I suspect that Northern Ireland is the area to focus on.

I notice a report in the Leeds Mercury July 27th 1934 that Edith Ellen Brelsford of Ouseburn St, Sheffield was divorced from her husband Joseph Cyril Brelsford, professional musician, on account of misconduct with Corrine Holden Tiffany, at Newton Massachussets. Possibly just a coincidence in the name.

Maisy

Thank you for looking Elwyn and Solidrock2. Any help at this point is invaluable.

I've checked the marriage in 1946 Salford but it is not the one. That particular Edith was previously Morecroft until she married Horace Brelsford. He died in WW11-1944 and then it looks as if she married James Brelsford brother of Horace. That's why it looks strange.

The Edith I'm searching for married a James F. Brelsford who was born in Pontypool in 1920. He lived in South Africa for a short time and then emigrated to Canada where he died in 1994. He and Edith were divorced at sometime and I don't know the date.

Thank you Elwyn for providing me with a thorough explanation of Irish records. Can you send me the 1901 census or some of the information for it showing Edith born in Guernsey? I'd be interested to see that.

Elwyn

Thank you for looking Elwyn and Solidrock2. Any help at this point is invaluable.

Thank you Elwyn for providing me with a thorough explanation of Irish records. Can you send me the 1901 census or some of the information for it showing Edith born in Guernsey? I'd be interested to see that.
Click on the link I provided in my reply. It takes you straight to the census return. I think that lady's father died in Co Down in about 1897. There was a Brelsford "hotel keeper" who died then amongst the 3 deaths I noted between 1864 and 1921.

Maisy

Thank you Elwyn.....got it. I've taken a look at the census but I doubt that the lady mentioned is anyone to do with the Brelsford's I'm looking for. It was worth taking a look. The links are useful for future reference since I have recently discovered that I have Irish ancestry.

I'll keep looking for the two boys Michael and James, Edith's sons. I don't know her maiden name or where or when she married James F. Brelsford.

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Maybe this is James's military records on FMP. Have'nt got sub.
Brelsford J F. 1939-45 World War 2 Allies Collection
Brelsford J F. 1942 British Army Casualty Lists 1939-1945

Service number maybe 925337 Gunner Royal Artillery.

solidrock2

Loyal Member
I'm struggling to find an Irish connection. Where did you get it from?
James born 1920 Pontypool, his parents James Brelsford and Thursa M Jones married in 1920, Pontypool.
James and Thursa were living at 12 Bryn Deri Terrace,Newbridge, Abercarn U.D., Monmouthshire, Wales. in 1939 with 1 other person.

Last edited:

Maisy

Thank you Solidrock2 for continuing to look for me.

Yes, this is his military record. He was classed as missing but he was actually a POW. That is correct his parents were James and Thirza and the address is also correct.

I know this sounds a complicated story and possibly there are too many named James.

Sometime after World War 2 James emigrated to South Africa. He might have met and married Edith there, I don't know. I also don't know when he eventually left S.A to live permanently in Canada but could have been in the early 50's.

There is a passenger list for the Capetown Castle departing on 15th July 1948 that shows Mrs. Brelsford, master John aged 4 and master harry aged 2.

There is a flight embarkation Prestwick, Scotland for Canada in September 1953 for a Mr. J. Brelsford.

The Irish connection is taken from the address that Edith gave, as a passenger on the Empress of England in October 1957, sailing to Canada with her two sons Michael and James F. Brelsford. The address given 66, Castle Square, Bangor, Northern Ireland.

At a date unknown James and Edith separated or divorced. He may have remarried. He died in Canada in 1994.

On a separate note. In 1953 there is an incoming passenger list from SA that shows James Brelsford aged 53 a mechanic (makes him born abt. 1900). At a good guess I would say that this is the father of James F. Brelsford born in 1920. The address given for him, as a passenger is one in Wales. I know this to be the address of his own parents. The other person with him was a Florence Brelsford aged 60, housewife, but she gave an address in Nottingham. I don't know the connection with Florence Brelsford but perhaps James Brelsford (senior) and Thirza divorced and he married Florence. Again, I don't know any details.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Ship name- Empress Of England-Ship master's first name CULLE H-Ship master's last name BELL-Ship destination port MONTREAL-Ship destination country CANADA

Maisy

Thank you Ellie7,

I do have this record and image and it is the correct one. This is the Edith and family I am searching for.

And thank you too Juliejtp,

Yes, James F. Brelsford was born in 1920. He had a son with the same initials born in 1953 according to the ship's passenger list. I'd like to see the newspaper article if you can copy it to this site.

Thank you.