• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Birth record for Mary Ann EDWARDS

Hello. My great grandmother was born in Wales in November of 1853. I have tried numerous times to procure her birth record from the GRO and I can't seem to get the right Mary Ann. Her parents were named Edward and Jennet, and I think I have their marriage record, but I need Mary Ann's birth record to confirm Jennet's maiden name. Does anyone know of a site that I could search that would have these records?? The marriage record is from Vaynor, Brecon, Wales and dated 1 Sept 1851. The family arrived in the USA, 10 Aug 1854. Mary Ann was 7 months old at the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:confused:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
The marriage in 1851 has one of the brides as Jennet Jones. On the familyseach site there is a submitted entryfor a Mary Ann Edwards christened in 1860 parents Edward Edwards and Jennet Jones at Vaynor, Brecon, the date is a bit out.

You can go through the GRO leaving the ref no's blank and they will do a search I think either side of 1853 for Mary Ann Edwards birth.

See link below.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Did Mary have any siblings, if so their birth certificates will show mothers maiden name.

Last edited:
Hi Annette,

welcome . I only found one mary and/or mary ann edwards actually born in the oct-nov-dec for 1853. I don't know if this helps or not. Joyce

Mary Edwards
Year of Registration: 1853
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Merthyr Tydfil
County: Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan
Volume: 11a
Page: 221

Hi Annette,

I am getting very lost I did find one mary edwards that came into new york on the date you stated. see below, her fathers name was edward, mothers name I could not read but did not look like Jennet:'( and of course there was also daughter elizabeth, but.... like julie found on the marriage:'( added them after the immingration record. facts here don't add up either this mary edwards was from Ireland. I put in arrival year and mary's birth this was the only one that came close and the only one on this date. Do you have any more information that could help us narrow this down:) Sorry Joyce

Mary Edwards
Arrival Date: 10 Aug 1854
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Ireland
Ethnicity/Race*/Nationality: Irish
Ship Name: Benjamin Adams
Search Ship Database: Search the Benjamin Adams in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 39
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_143
List Number: 1006
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Edward Edwards
Year of Registration: 1851
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Volume: 26
Page: 566

Jennet Jones
Year of Registration: 1851
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Volume: 26
Page: 566

The problem with these two is that they are still in Vaynor, Brecon, Wales, in 1881 census, Joyce

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I was so sure I was on the right track, and now I'm not sure at all. I thought for sure I had the right family in the US 1880 census, the parents were Edward and Jeanette (Jennet) and there were two other daughters, Elizabeth and Ruth, in addition to Mary Ann. That just fell in so nicely with the fact that Mary Ann named one of her daughters, Jennet (my GM). But Mary Ann's death certificate lists her father as David, mother unknown. I just assumed right away that David was the wrong name, because it just didn't fit in with what I already had..............:confused: :confused: :confused:

Annette

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Annette

If you could get Marys marriage certifcate/record this would give her fathers name?. Perhaps the person who registered Marys death didnt know much about her, the information is only as good as to what the informant knows. Elizabeth and Ruth. have you found these on the US census? are they Marys sisters for definate.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The IGI has a submitted entry for Edward Edwards marriage to Jennet Jones at 01 SEP 1851 Vaynor, Brecon, Brecon, Wales.

It lists Edward as being born in December 1830 at Ucha, Brecon, Brecon Wales son of Lewis and Anne. Jennet's birth is listed as 1832 in Veynor but no mention of parents.

Submitted entries are to be treated with a pinch of salt sometimes but this looks as if that marriage is the right one but the couple were in Brecon in 1881 as Julie said. Jennet is an unusual first name.

It is now a case of a Mary Ann Edwards birth with fathers name Edward and mothers first name of Jennet and maiden name of Jones.

Ben

Last edited:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

When did Mary Ann marry and have you got any other evidence of her age?

There may have been 2 Edward Edwards who married a Jennet Jones. Edwards and Jones are common names but Jeanette wasnt unless it was a Welsh name.

I am also very confused. :confused:

Ben

Hello all. I have made some progress since my last post about Mary Ann. I found the family in Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio. Lo and behold, the father's name is David and they are all from Wales. In Mary Ann's husband's pension application file there is an affidavit from a Mr. Morgan stating that he had lived next door to Mary Ann from the time of her childhood up to the time she married James MORTON. I double checked my family in Ohio, next door is a family by the name of Morgan. Do you all think I am on to something????

Annette:biggrin: