• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bishops House and semi computer literates

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well Yesterday I trudged off as a witch and made witch masks with the children. Thursday we had an event for National Tree day and had over 300 visitors. Next week I am attempting to get the local hsitory groups together. Should be fun with such a wealth of knowledge and research. Who knows where it will lead?

This is why online sites are so great where knowledge can be shared.

Unfortunately there are some people who for some strange reason think computers are not for them using such lame excuses as "I am too old".
I've met loads of people on these sites in their 80s.

Then there are those who have email address but never read their emails and never use their computer for research. I find this all very strange. I am not exactly in my teenage years and admit I text so slowly it would be easier to deliver the message in person, but have never given my age as a reason for not learning to text faster, purely that besides my children I have no one to text to.

Why if you have an email address wouldn't you read your emails? Would you leave your post to pile up by the letter box for a month before opening them? Why is there this terror of being computer literate?

Anyway, because not all the local historians use the internet, it is hard to ask them for information. They are never in if you phone and with my disability I don't go out much in the winter so find it hard to post things. We have several local history groups so I can't just attend their meetings as I would have to be out every day of the week.

I personally couldn't do my research without a computer. There are so many old documents and books free to download that would take me days of searching for but are there instantly and searched through instantly. My brother who started family research before there were many online sites to search could travel hundreds of miles and spend loads of money to find he was on a wild goose chase. Family research used to cost thousands unless you were lucky to live near the archive and parish records of your family.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Not reading emails is not always down to the user!
Sometimes the isp makes life very unfriendly!
Now ... take BT for instance ...
I have BT Yahoo ( I think it stands For Bl...dy terrible) which I rarely use to get my emails prefering Outlook. So.. last week someone sent me several emails which had attachments, I got the first one but not the others and as the sender was using an Apple laptop they said it sometimes scewed up sending emails. So after several attempts at varying the email content etc they gave up and is now sending the data on DVD.
I .. purely by chance went into BT Yahoo and looked at the mail and noticed that I had a large amount of spam ... it was the emails with supposed attachments!
Now what I dont get is that the first one I received had a proper attachment and got through but all the others had put the attachments into the body of the email!.. (never come accross that before!! Thanks Apple)
Personally I have used computers for well over 45years and have always used them just as another tool, I dont always believe what they tell me, numbers produced are not always the gospel truth(take fractions 1/3 etc) but for some jobs I wouldnt be without them.

Peter

duckweed

Loyal Member
I know emails can go amiss and end up foul of an anti virus system but I am talking about people who have said they don't often check their emails.
My husband doesn't give his email address to anybody except the Scout Leader so the only email he gets is from one specific person and he reads his emails once a week to check they haven't changed anything before he goes out with the Scouts on a Friday. That is logical. But why if you don't check your emails would you bother having an email address or giving it out to people?

IXMAL

Very good points, and I think there is too much 'technophobia' in the world of genealogy fans and family history researchers. People generally are not making best use of their computers: google and similar search engines, email or facebook and other social media as sources of information and making connections. There is huge scope to make this into a hobby that spans the globe - many British people must have a branch that emigrated, yet how many have traced it to America, Canada or Australia?

I'm a computer programmer as well as a family researcher and would like to find out more about what stops people using their computers to the full in this hobby!

Anyone have suggestions or ideas?

duckweed

Loyal Member
It's a puzzle to me. I wasn't very good on computers but I could see how useful they were so went to a basics class at our local secondary school.

I was one of the youngest there in the group. Most were retired people who wanted to be able to shop online or talk to the grandchildren.

I have an older friend who has just retired and used computers in his work but now uses his reluctantly.

Its as if there is something socially inacceptable for some retired people and middle aged people to be seen as technologically literate.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
If people are willing to spend 100's of £'s on a computer and various hardware, I would guess the 'older' generation are fearful through a possible lack of computer know how, that their system and life are open to hackers etc. and public scrutiny.

Also, emails are getting rather 'old hat' now. Chat rooms and texts, tweets and tubes, are all over the place.

Steve.:)

duckweed

Loyal Member
I use emails where I used to write letters.

I am on facebook but only connect with people I really know well. I have had relatives and friends who have been hacked into so I am careful who I talk to.

I write a blogg but I don't tweet as I have more interesting things to do.

I'm not very fit and haven't got much money so without a computer would be watching TV or listening to the radio and rarely having an intelligent conversation, and waiting for the mobile library for something to read.

I can't imagine going back to that. I can understand people who don't know where to start or are worried about wasting money but the ones I don't understand are those who have the technology and the basic skills but don't use their computers. I give them a list of free sites to search for their ancestors and they give me it back saying I don't use the computer much as if it would be a crime to do so.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Example of how I do my research. At the moment I am working out which Water Wheels the Blythes had connections with. I have a list of field names and places. I google place name, it comes up on map and when I look on Google map there is a 16thc building in existence. Persuade husband to take me so I can take photos. It is only half a mile away

Next day I look up book on water wheels to see what is in the area (book came secondhand, no longer in print via a certain online book supplier) Found some mills wrong date but one of the Mill owners rings a bell.

Look up Canadian Archives site and look at some old family history and find some names in common. Go to Local History site and say I have some old field names which Blythes owned and think it may be connected to certain wheel. Friend on History site says I have list of field names in that area and he finds 2 field names that fit.

I now know where the land was and that the father in law had an apprentice who bought up the land and operated a wheel. If you take away going to get a proper photo of farmhouse it took me about half an hour to make all the connections.

M.R.Field

Website
oddsoracle.blogspot.com
I am so used to using the pootah now that if it's a bit slow, lack of responses, etc. I get very annoyed and turn it all off!
Particularly at weekends when it's so slow it's deadly, so I've started not bothering with it from Friday night to Monday morning. I think many people use their work machines, whereas I'm at home anyway.

I do find it a nuisance, though, that the public records still cost so much on the net via companies set up for the purpose. I think the Gummint should bang it all on and let us sort through it as we wish, for nothing. I can't justify over £100 a year of my meagre income on a hobby. Which is why I make all my scale models from absolute scratch. Costs me very little indeed.

Martin

duckweed

Loyal Member
Its easier than it used to be. As there are a lot of free records available online and if you know the right forums there are a whole host of experts with some really good info available.

Locally I have Sheffield Indexers which even has school records and Sheffield Online which has cutler apprentice records and trade indexes and then there is Sheffield History Online which publish loads of old newspapers and magazine articles and lists of pubs, churches etc.

I don't mind paying for a document download from time to time from the National Archives as it is cheaper than travelling even across London and generally the online summary is sufficient without needing a download. If only all archives did the same.