• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bizarre Birthday Presents

ianto73

Valued Member
Having just left the Forces, I made the journey in August 1972 from London to the North West to visit my maternal grandmother who was celebrating her 80th Birthday - she was living in a residential home.
I took with me a rather large bouquet of flowers so that some would be put in the residents lounge as well as my grandmother's room.
However, when I got there, having explained my choice of present, my sister-in-law said, quote, "200 Woodbines would have been more acceptable!!" unquote.
My grandmother lived until she was 90 years old.

Brian

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I know a relative who celebrated a 90th birthday last July. An old family friend gave him an electric stapler. The mind boggles as to how much use that friend thought it would get. :rolleyes:

gibbo

Loyal Member
My mother had always been classed as the "sensible serious parent" out of my parents. Because of this everyone always bought her "serious type" presents. I figured that wasnt much fun for her so i bought her something different about 2 years ago for her birthday. I got a sensor activated rat:rolleyes: The rat is caught in a rat trap. When switched on and you wave something in front of it, it says all sorts of things:eek: I wont say on here what is says but she totally loves the thing. Whenever visitors turn up out comes the rat:rolleyes:

leefer

Loyal Member
I omce went to a friends house at Xmas.....his elderly mother handed me a prezzie and i undid it to reveal baby jesus in a manger made from a cornflakes box!
At the time i was speechless but thinking back she made a real effort and obviously she was not really sound of mind.